iPhoto editing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rye9, Jan 21, 2006.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

How can I edit a photo in the sense that I take a photo and add another one in it. Is this possible? What I am trying to do is create an avatar by taking one picture and putting it in the center of another. Can I do this?:eek:

2. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    Correct me if i am wrong but iPhoto doesn't really do collages or cutting and pasting pictures. I have a love/hate relationship with iPhoto.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Photoshop or for a free option, GIMP.

iPhoto is a photo management app, basic photo editing (colour, contrast etc.) an display options (cards, calendars, slideshows etc.) It's not designed to be and image editor in the way you want. iPhoto 6 is much better for editing than iPhoto 5 but it's not what you need.

But GIMP's pretty good.

4. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Are there any other ones? GIMP seemed a little complicated and hefty to me.

5. GrannySmith_G5 macrumors 6502

download the 30 day trial of photoshop and worry about if you need an image editor later.

6. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

That is an excellent idea but it says I'd have to register an Adobe ID, which I would prefer not to do. Would the app Preview let me take a picture and put it into another?

7. GrannySmith_G5 macrumors 6502

when you say put an image into another are you talking about scaling an image down and placing it over another image? Or are you talking about more advanced blending options?

Oh and I wouldn't worry about the adobe thing. just type in a bunch of crap for your info.

8. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

SeaShore? The aqua version of GIMP maybe?
    I would reccomend signing up to adobe and downloading a free 30 day trial, it's by far your best option.

::20ROGERSC::

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You don't need the full version of Photoshop to do this. You could just buy Photoshop Elements 3 which is much cheaper - around $60 - possibly less with rebates.

10. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Yes. that's exactly what I wanted to do, take one image, make it smaller, and put it over something in the other image.

11. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Gimp

Being new to my MacBook Pro, are saying GIMP works with the Mac operating system?