iPhoto & Entourage

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SLCentral, Apr 14, 2005.

1. SLCentral macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I've recently switched my Dad to Mac, with an iBook G4 1.2GHz, with 768MB of RAM. He does a lot of e-mailing pictures, and while he does use iPhoto, he finds it to be disappointing when it comes to e-mailing.

He uses Entourage for e-mail. And while he can open iPhoto, click on the picture(s), and press Mail, Entourage will open up a new e-mail, what happens if he wants to reply to a e-mail he received, and add a picture? Or if he starts writing an e-mail, and then decides to add a picture? He told me that the only way to do this, aside from Copy and Paste (which is a true PITA), is to drag the pictures directly from iPhoto into the e-mail, hense not compressing the pictures, making the e-mail very large.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this? I told him to Switch to Mail.app, but this doesn't seem possible has the Mail.app uses the Address Book, which is synced with his Palm Pilot, and it's contents are very different then the Entourage address book, which consists of just e-mail addresses of the same and different people.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I still reckon he should export his Entourage addresses and use Mail.app because it's so much better integrated with the other iApps. However, there is an option in iPhoto to export pictures at a set size both in terms of pixels and bites. In '05 it's under the Share menu. It's still a fair PITS though but at least it means he can send email-friendly files.

3. SLCentral thread starter macrumors regular

See, the problem is that I can't just export the Entourage address book because it would have some serious problems importing into Apple Address Book, as some people are just in Entourage, some are just in Address Book, and some are in both, with different content in each. It would be virtually impossible to go through 5K+ names manually and adjust them.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Fair enough. Would it matter if there were double ups though? Does the Palm have enough spare room for twice the contacts? I suppose it'd get pretty annoying having two of everything... :(

I've just got this crazy feeling that there's a work-around but I can't think of it yet. There's gotta be a way of merging the two databases.

Meh, it'll come to me... Hopefully...

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You haven't figured out how to add attachments yet?

6. SLCentral thread starter macrumors regular

I know how to add attachments. The problem is that I need to compress the pictures before I e-mail them, since each one is between 1.5 and 2MB, too big for e-mailing multiple pictures at once.

The easiest way to do this is with iPhoto, by pressing the E-Mail button. This opens up a NEW e-mail in Entourage/Mail, but how do I do if I'm replying to an e-mail and want to add pictures, or I am already 1/2 way through an e-mail and decide to add pictures?

In this sense, OS X/iPhoto isn't very friendly at all.

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Its always going to be a two step operation when you are replying to emails - would be the same in Windows AFAIK, most likely linux for that matter too. You're telling me it's THAT difficult to export a pic in iPhoto and then attach the photo to your mail message in Entourage? Wow. :rolleyes:

8. mpw Guest

I'm not at work so can't try it to refresh my memory but using outlook I'd just attach the photos and on sending it'll prompt me asking whether I'd like to adjust the file size down for jpegs so I know where the original posters coming from.

I too don't think it's THAT difficult but, and i could be wrong here, there's no need to give attitude to people trying to find the same features they had in Windows on the occasions when Windows actually does have a useful feature not on a Mac.

9. SLCentral thread starter macrumors regular

Hey, thanks for the tip, but when I tried that, it didn't work, it just added the actual picture, uncompressed.

KingJr, no need to be rude. On my dad's older Windows PC, we didn't use iPhoto (obviously), and all pictures were compressed when they were imported on the computer. In iPhoto, no compression takes place, therefore, it is much different then the Windows counterpart. The fact is that it is not convenient to have to export pictures every time you want to send one, while in Windows, you would just browse to the folder and attach them. Hopefully, there's a way around this.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Doesn't the export function in iPhoto compress the photos? If you pick a small ratio of pixels, I'm pretty sure the file will take up considerably less space. From memory, it's the same engine that drives the compression in Mail anyway.

11. SLCentral thread starter macrumors regular

I suppose this is the only way. It's not that big of a deal, so its all good :).

Thanks for your help, guys!

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I haven't used Outlook since Outlook 2k, but when did it get that feature? That's a really, really good idea, if its well-implemented. I'd like to see it in Mail.app... And it doesn't seem like Entourage 04 does this, either?

13. David1300 macrumors newbie

SL iphotos and email

SL,
    I have found that there is a patch that may be helpful. Try Simon Jacquier's iPhoto Mailer Patcher (currently at version 4.1).

This should allow you to change your iphotos preferred email program to Entourage. Good luck

14. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I think they've already resolved it, as this is a three-year old thread... :)