iPhoto equivalent for Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yg17, Apr 24, 2005.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My parents just got a new digital camera. The software that came with it is decent, but they dont know much about computers. iPhoto would be great for them, however, they have Windows. Does anyone know of something for Windows thats as easy to use as iPhoto is? Thanks

2. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Sorry, but there aren't any true iPhoto equivalents... Some may come close, but none make it all the way.

3. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

hey,

one app that i tired that was rather good was google's 'picasa'. just google 'picasa' and it should come up.

it's freeware and it's not too bad. im not sure if it will import the images from the digicam though. another is adobe photoshop album.

hth,
    asif

4. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

Yea picasa is it. in fact, it destroys iPhoto. Hence the reason i use Picasa for my image management and not iPhoto. www.picasa.com and yes it is free and Google bought the company that made it.

it does import from any camara that mounts as a drive.

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

iPhoto by itself is pretty unremarkable. When you combine iPhoto albums and use it in iDVD or iMovie, then the program is absolutely essential. This is the main reason I love iPhoto so much. It makes creating iDVD slideshows and photobooks so much fun.

6. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

I hate to admit it, but I agree. Apple should take some notes from those guys over at google.

7. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Thanks for the recommendation guys. I installed Picasa on their computer, and its great. Hell, I'm jealous. Granted, I'd much rather have my 2 Macs, but I'd love a version of it for OSX

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, from the little I've seen, too, Picasa is pretty impressive. But I've only watched my friend use it on his PC -- I have never really directly used it.

9. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I used Picasa before I switched over to Mac, and I must say that it is ages above iPhoto. It was quite a let down when I migrated. I think that I will manage though, as I am not too big on pictures and whatnot... :rolleyes:

10. ksz macrumors 68000

I was also very pleasantly surprised by Picasa 2. Apple should really take notes from this one.

11. ksz macrumors 68000