iphoto file destinations

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ero87, Apr 23, 2006.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

Does anyone else find iPhoto's file destinations very awkward? I'm wondering if there's a way to customize where files appear when you import them to iPhoto, instead of organizing them into a dozen weird folders as the default system seems to do. Thanks!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In iPhoto 6, we were given the choice of keeping the files where we want. Of course, there's still the accompanying mess inside the actual iPhoto folder in Finder, but you can have your photos elsewhere, away from this mess (if you want, I haven't bothered personally). Are you running iPhoto 6 or a previous version? I'm not sure of a method for doing the same in anything prior iPhoto 6. :eek:

As a side, I find I just do everything through iPhoto. I have no real need for Finder when it comes to pictures.

3. blckout20 macrumors member

Are you talking about how it puts each picture into rolls? When I take pictures with photobooth it puts each picture in a roll and I have like 60 rolls with 1 picture each. When I import from a camera it takes all the pictures and puts those in one roll which isn't as bad but its so inconveniant to have so many picture folders.

4. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

It's iPhoto 6 (but i'd like to know how to do this with my '05 version also).

I'm interested in the Finder organization of the files; i don't want to hafta open an entire program (iphoto) just to view pictures. I prefer using finder/preview, but finding the files is near impossible as is.

Any ideas?

5. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I think of iPhoto just like iTunes. You wouldn't go through finder to play an mp3, you would open iTunes, then play it. Think of iPhoto as the same. If you need a photo, open up iPhoto, find it, then do whatever it is you need with that photo.