iPhoto filing problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by buckuxc, Dec 22, 2004.

1. buckuxc macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2003
    hey all,

It's been a busy week as I catch up with all the things actually going on in my computer. So apparently I have a problem with iPhoto. I have this set of pictures from a trip to the British Isles in June 2003. I opened up iPhoto to determine which photos I wanted to edit and post online and Photoshop and it's file browser to edit them. A few of my photos (I'm not sure the actual extent of this problem), I discovered, were in the correct date order in iPhoto AND their date taken was listed correctly, but the actual photo file had been "modified" (I think the pictures were rotated in iPhoto) and is now saved in a folder of the modified date, i.e., a picture taken on 6.7.2003 had that date listed in iPhoto, but it was located in Finder in the folder for 7.3.2003, which is when it was modified (and hence, it was not correctly available in Photoshop's file browser).

What gives? I know iPhoto produces a copy and saves the orginals, but why is it not saved in the original taken date folder? Can I fix this? Can I keep it from saving the originals (b/c, honestly, who needs the original if all that is done to it is rotating to the correct viewing aspect?)?

Thanks for the help...again...

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    don't mess with the iPhoto file structure...

if you want to use iPhoto with Photoshop, make Photoshop the editing application under iPhoto's preferences and pull up the photo in Photoshop from within iPhoto. don't pull the pics from iPhoto folders directly with Photoshop. that's asking for trouble.

otherwise, just export the pics you want from within iPhoto to a known location and then use Photoshop to edit them directly.

convoluted? perhaps. if you mess with iPhoto file structure, you risk corrupting it, making it unsable with iPhoto.
  3. mslifkin macrumors regular

May 14, 2004
    New Jersey
    This is absolutely correct; you should never edit images in the iPhoto library outside of iPhoto. In the iPhoto preferences you can set Photoshop as the external editor, and set it such that a double click on an image in iPhoto will launch Photoshop and load the image for editing. Another advantage to doing it this way is that iPhoto will make a copy of the image in a folder called "Originals" prior to sending it to Photoshop, so you can always back out of an edit. Hope this helps.

4. buckuxc thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2003
    Ok, good to know, I'll make a note of that for the future. However, I'm still curious. The photo(s) in quesiton were edited in iPhoto (rotation), so why does iPhoto move my example photo from the creation date folder 2003:06:07 to the modified date folder 2003:07:03. That's kinda confusing.