iPhoto Folder Organization...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Stridder44, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

My iPhoto folder used to be alot more organized (by year, month, then film roll, etc.) and it was easy to grab pics if I needed to. Over the years and over newer versions of iPhoto, the iPhoto folder has gotten pretty cluttered, with some pictures that are still organized by year, others in the "Original" and "Modified" folders. It's a mess. Is there any way to clean things up?

2. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

It's a pain. I end up deleting the whole library and starting from scratch to reorganize. That was fun looking at all 5,000 of those pics again.:(

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Do you really care how the Finder view of iPhoto is organized? As long as you can get to everything from the iPhoto interface I'd think you'd be fine. Messing around with Finder can make iPhoto unhappy.

4. Stridder44 thread starter macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I care. I used to be able to get to a pic quickly and easily and now I have to guess where it's at, and I don't want to have to open iPhoto every time to do this.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Yeah, I used to feel the same way, but in my case, I can almost always find it quicker by opening and searching in iPhoto than monkeying around with Finder, so I gave up and changed my workflow.

6. eced1 macrumors newbie

Burning photos onto a CD-R from iPhoto

I am trying to burn photos onto a CD-R using iPhoto, i have sorted the photos manually, i mean there is a particular order that i want the photos to burn onto a cd, it is for a slideshow that will be shown at a friend's 21st. every time i try to burn the album onto a cd, iPhoto burns them in its own order, is there any way to change the settings so it burns on a cd in the order i have put them. Any info will be so helpful, i am going nuts trying to figure it out.

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Why not go ahead and make the slideshow in iPhoto, then export that onto a CD-R? You could even add the music and such that you like at the same time.

But, when you burn from the album, it should put them into the order you have them in, onto the CD.

8. eced1 macrumors newbie

I have tried so many times burning an album i have created on iPhoto on to a CD-R, it never burns in the order that i have put the photos. I always end up with a CD with the photos in the order they were uploaded onto iPhoto. i have even tried it on the PC and that does the same thing. All i need is the photos to be in my order so i can put it in a computer and make it a slideshow. Also my iBook does not have a SuperDrive so i can't use iDVD or iMovie, will exporting the slideshow to Finder work, can i then burn that onto a Cd?

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You should be able to export it as a Quicktime movie, and then burn that as you like.

10. gollum macrumors regular

download "iPhotoLibraryManager" would be a good start. With this you can have multiple iPhoto libraries to help keep things organized.

Another thing I do because I like to know exactly were my stuff is and not buried in layer upon layer of folders like iPhoto does is this:

open iPhoto's preferences, select advanced and de-select "Importing...Copy files to iPhoto Library folder when adding to library"

What this means and what it does is it allows you to select anywhere in your home folder were you store your photos and when iPhoto imports them, in effect, it only is importing a thumbnail/shortcut to that photo.
    Bear in mind that you need to be organized when you start, have your photos organized exactly how you want them before importing to iPhoto.
    It can get a bit cumbersome later on when you want to add photos because you have to put them in your folder outside of iPhoto, then import the ones you want in iPhoto.
    If it's not clear by now, if you move those photos from that folder outside of iPhoto later, iPhoto will not know were to look for those photos because it only "possesses" a thumbnail to that photo.

I hope this isn't too confusing, but if you want your photos outside of iPhoto like I do, it is the price you have to pay!!!

11. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

iPhoto duplicates

I have iPhoto 6 on my iBook and iPhoto 5 on my iMac. I transferred the photos via DVD from the iMac to the iBook when I got the latter. This week I wiped my iBook clean and then transferred all my photos back onto it from the iMac via my network. (Each machine is a kind of back up.) Now while they aren't necessarily a 'mess', I notice that on the iBook I have two copies for many photos (presumably for those I adjusted: the original and adjusted version) and on the iMac I have three versions (the original, the adjusted where applicable, and a smaller version for all of them. The smaller versions seem to reside in the 'Thumbs' subfolders in the iPhoto library).

I'm guessing it's because I've swapped between two different versions of iPhoto and the folder structure has gone haywire. I mean, how do I know which one is better to print? Can I delete all the thumbnail folders in Finder? I have about 3400 photos on the iBook and about 6800 on the iMac! If I can delete all the thumbnail folders (whatever they're for...?) I will presumably have the same sets on both machines?

Advice would be appreciated. Even if only to say, "Tough cheddar - wait until you can run the same version of iPhoto on both machines". Even so, how about those thumbnails?

TIA iPhoto gurus :)