iPHOTO Help?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jason2811, Jul 3, 2006.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

May 8, 2006
    I need some help with iPhoto. I keep all my photos in a separate folders on my computer outside of the iPhoto library. When I first got my Macbook I imported all of those folders into iPhoto as separate rolls. Nowadays, I often delete photos from those original folders but the photos do not get deleted when I look back into iPhoto. Is there anyway to sync the folders I keep my photos in with iPhoto so that when I delete a photo from iPhoto it will also get deleted in those original folders that I use, or vice-versa? Sorry of this is confusing but any help would be great. Thanks.
  2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    Unless you unchecked the box "Copy file to iPhoto Library Folder" in Advanced preferences when you imported it will have copied the files. So removing the originals will have no effect.

Even with that box unchecked it would be very unwise to delete the files in the Finder as this will confuse and upset iPhoto. Delete them in iPhoto instead.
  3. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    As Robbieduncan says, don't mix and match between iPhoto and the Finder too much.

Either organise your photos yourself in the Finder and use the Finder's slideshow to view them or manage them in iPhoto and do all your duplicating/deleting/editing through iPhoto. Think of iPhoto as you would iTunes, you wouldn't go digging through the Finder to change an ID tag in iTunes...

iPhoto has a 'data file' that it writes any changes to so that it can organise its thumbnails, its trash, its keywords. If you start doing stuff outside iPhoto, those changes don't get written so when iPhoto starts up, it can't find some of the images its data file says should be there.

iPhoto 6 does let you leave pictures in their original folders but you have to tell it in Preferences to do that before you import them into iPhoto - but you should still deal with inside iPhoto or there's no guarantees that it will pick up your changes.
  4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I don't quite understand what you're saying.

Are you telling us that you originally had your photos in a separate folder, and decided to import all your photos into iPhoto? Did you have the "Copy File to iPhoto Library" button checked? If you did, then you'll have 2 copies of all those photos on your HD: one copy is in your original folder, while the other is in the iPhoto Library folder.

When you delete a photo from iPhoto, you're only going to delete the copy of the photo that's in the iPHoto Library. The photos you have in your original folders have nothing to do with iPhoto, and so iPhoto won't touch them. iPHoto will delete the photos stored in it's library. I say just delete your original folders since you don't really need them. Your photos just take up twice the amount of HD space as before.

If you check your preferences, and the "Copy Files to iPhoto Library" button isn't checked, then do NOT delete your original folder of photos. :eek:

If this is the case, then the reason the photos from your folder aren't being deleted is because they're still in iPhoto's "Trash" bin. When you delete a photo in iPhoto, it ends up in the trash bin on the left panel within iPhoto. See it? Good. ;)

You need to "right click" on the trash bin and and click "Empty Trash" or something similar. If you do this, it'll delete the file from the folder.
  5. Vasky macrumors newbie

Jun 29, 2006
    I guess I won't bother making a new thread for my question, I think it fits pretty well in here.

I've imported a bunch of photos into iPhoto, which are in my hard drive in the "iPhoto Library" folder. Now, when I stick additional photos onto my hard drive from my camera, it creates a new roll for the batch I am importing to my MacBook, right. Thing is, I don' want a new folder to be created every time I put new photos on my machine. Since the folder "iPhoto Library" was created, I ant them all in there. But if I move a new photo folder into the iPhoto library folder, iPhoto refuses to import them, saying that th photos I am trying to import are in my iPhoto Library. Is there any way to get around this?