iphoto help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Donnyb, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Donnyb macrumors newbie

Dec 8, 2006
    Arizona mountains
    I am an artist and have always maintained a huge photo library. Since I started with my Mac I've been frustrated by the inability to reduce the size of my (usually very large) photo files for email, web and other purposes.
    I can't believe the program does have that capibility. Can you help me? Can it be done?

2. srf4real macrumors 68030

Jul 25, 2006
    paradise beach FL
    I learned a few years ago that iPhoto is not really meant to be more than a fancy preview app with some added conveniences like mail, photo books, etc. I also find it very insufficient for the task of file storage and more than "red-eye" editing... the fact that it wants to use hdd of machine for all storage rules it out for this purpose, anyways. I keep all my original photos on an external drive, and add a resized jpeg to iPhoto whenever I wish to use the features it does have - but my iPhoto library and my picture library will always be two different things until Apple wises up a little!:p
  3. Donnyb thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 8, 2006
    Arizona mountains
    I thought so...

That's what I was afraid of. I was so used to Photomanager in my PC's. I'll have to find a good editing program I guess. It's a pain in the a$$ trying to go back and forth whenever I need to email and image to anyone. Thanks...
  4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

Oct 29, 2006
    ~119W 34N
    If you drop an image into a new email, it will resize it for you (or leave it actual size). There's a pop-up menu at bottom of frame, when the image is selected.
  5. Gee macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2004
    London, UK
    Or you can click the email button at the bottom of iPhoto, and it will attach one to a new mail for you, and give you a choice of small/medium/large/full res.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure there's some premade scripts that resize images - you could create yourself a folder attach the resize script to it, and when you drag something into, hey presto; smaller.
  6. Squonk macrumors 65816

Mar 15, 2005
    Or you could select the photo's you want, click on Export Photos and select the size you want them to be. Then attach these files to your email. Not the most elegant way of course, but it works. ;)