iPhoto (how do I add text?)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by scoostraw, Feb 2, 2006.

1. scoostraw macrumors newbie

How do you add text to a photo? I want to superimpose text within the image area itself.

Thanks.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

You need to add that in an external application.

If you don't have Photoshop (Elements) you could try the nice and free Seashore... :)

Edit: Just tell iPhoto to open image in Seashore when double-clicked in the General preferences (works like a charm, just tested it :)):

Attached Files:

3. scoostraw thread starter macrumors newbie

iPhoto

I think I should have re-phrased my question to say... is there a way using iPhoto to do this? :)

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Read the answer above: NO

iPhoto is mostly for organising and storing photos. For any serious editing or adding anything to a photo you need more software.

5. howesey macrumors 6502a

6. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

If you want to do some more editing than iPhoto allows you too do, get Aperture, if you need more power, get Aperture + PhotoShop CS2.

7. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Aperture would probably be a bit much for editing on a smallish scale, would it not? It is a pro app after all. And a bit pricey :eek:

All the good photo apps are pricey. :(

8. scoostraw thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I am considering a new home computer purchase, and have been deciding between a PC or a MAC. I am lucky in that there is an iMac here at work that I am able to use occasionally to try out. Otherwise, the way Apple markets their products, I would have absolutely no chance whatsoever for any hands-on time.

(And Robbie, your tone is completely unnecessary)

9. EMKoper macrumors regular

EMKoper

Where do you live... try an Apple Store... if not, try a CompUSA ... if not, try a Fry's ... if not... well then you might be out of luck if none of those are close by. Other than Dell (which sets up the little things in the middle of malls) I wouldn't know how to get any exposure to any of the larger PC manufacture's products unless I specifically went to a retail store that carried them (basically, above plus Best Buy) or their speciality stores (like a Sony store, which I don't think are that common).

So were do you live?

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Haha, yeah, to do simple editing of a photo, get over $1000 worth of software. :p

Probably poor advice. ;)

Anyway, seashore works, and it'll work in hand with iPHoto, so I see no problem with downloading it and trying it out. Otherwise there's GIMP, but that's a bit overboard for just adding text.

11. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

Could Seashore or GIMP edit photos in a way where you can overlap photos? Is there a term for that? If not, what free apps could I download to let me overlap/combine pictures? (I want to take one picture and put it in a part of another)

12. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Looks like a nice program Mitthrawnuruodo, I'm going to check this out.

I can't really jusify photoshop for how seldom I'd ever use it. This looks like it can handle the basic work I'd want to do.

13. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Ye, if you know what you are doing. You will want to mask out the section of the photo you don't want and then paste the result into the other photo (probably as a new layer).