Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2001
Well, I hope they fix that problem in a future update. I've used powerpoint with 10.2.1 on my powerbook g4 on a tv with no problem.

Dave Marsh

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Sacramento, CA
iPhoto + iBook + Jaguar + Composite Video Problem

After reading a notice on MacFixit today, I confirmed this new issue. After upgrading to Jaguar 10.2.1, when attempting to run an iPhoto slideshow using the Apple composite video cable (to display on a TV), the music stops, the slideshow changes to a lower resolution, and the slide transitions no longer work.

I’m using a 14” iBook with 384MB RAM, with iPhoto 1.1.1. After starting iPhoto and selecting a group of photos to view, I clicked on the player button. It started immediately and worked normally, cross-fading nicely between photos, playing the selected music in the background. While the slideshow was running, I plugged in Apple’s composite video connector, which worked perfectly in 10.1.5, and the music immediately stopped, the resolution on the slide show dropped below the set 1024x768, and it began very jerkily displaying the photos. This feature is now essentially unusable. When I stopped the slideshow by clicking on the touch pad, removed the composite video cable, and restarted the slideshow, everything was again fine. When I plugged in the cable, and started the slideshow, I got either a blank white screen with no music, or the previously described jerky, low res photos.:mad:

Dave Marsh

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Sacramento, CA
A partial workaround was posted on MacFixit today. If you plug in the composite cable BEFORE starting up iPhoto, the slideshow will play (without the white screen or much reduced resolution), but still NO music background. I also noted that the transitions, although more normal with this workaround, were also slower. This slow transition was why I switched my iBook to thousands of colors, since my Rage Pro video couldn't handle the transition smoothly in millions of colors. Those with the newer Radeon Mobility chip may not notice this difference.

Dave Marsh

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Sacramento, CA
That's news to me. My 14" iBook was purchased with the composite cable this past April. A 256K L2 cache was standard...no option to select a 512K L2 cache. The composite cable worked just fine with MacOS 10.1.5. Why sell a cable when it's known it won't work with your current offerings? Did Apple intentionally make changes in the OS to downgrade the capability of its recent products? Sounds odd to me.

Thanks for the feedback.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Using the Apple A/V Cable, I get no problems. My iBook won't support the composite video cable since I only have a 256K L2 cache. The Apple store says the iBook has to have a 512K L2 cache for the composite video cable to work properly.

Dave Marsh

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Sacramento, CA
Does the selected background music play when you're playing your iPhoto selections to the TV via the composite cable? I've found the proposed workaround for my 600Mhz 14" iBook with 384MB RAM of plugging in the composite cable BEFORE starting the iPhoto app DOES permit me to now display the photos on the TV using the composite cable, but the background music stops, and the transitions are slower. With your Radeon Mobility graphics processor, you probably wouldn't notice a transitions slowdown, as I do with my Rage Pro chip.

Thanks for the feedback.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
My iBook 466mhz FW SE works fine, but my AV cable broke and I don't have Jaguar... yet... :D I hope Apple has some sort of .Mac and Jaguar discount, since I am now a .Mac memeber...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.