iPhoto: image limit?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MentalFabric, Sep 5, 2005.

1. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

Hey, i was just wondering if iPhoto limits the number of images you can keep in your library? If not i'm going to be archiving about 80,000 images in it on an external HD. If it has a limit, is there a way to have multiple libraries easily?

MentalFabric

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Buy Portfolio.

iPhoto is not only not robust enough it has a 25,000 image limit.

You could also try iView Media Pro.

3. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Not an iPhoto advocate I take it then, iGary?? :p

For home use, there isn't a better photo management app. For the work you do, I'm sure you're right.

4. MentalFabric thread starter macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

thanks for the comments :)

i tried portfolio but i didn't really like it, do either portfolio or iview allow you to search for the keywords you sort them under using spotlight?

5. iGary Guest

iGary

The applications themselves are set up to search using keywords.

6. MentalFabric thread starter macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

I know, but i'm doing this on an external drive and i was hoping that once set up, others would be able to search the files through spotlight without having to boot from the system folder on the external drive. is this in any way possible?

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Is this for an office environment?

Why would they have to boot from the external?

8. MentalFabric thread starter macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

yeah, it's a publishing company. the disk is supposed to be able to be passed around the office. they'd have to boot from the external because portfolio/whatever would be installed on the external drive - would they still be able to run portfolio if it was installed on a different startup disk, with the same results?

9. iGary Guest

iGary

Why don't you consider a Snap Server and Extensis Portfolio Server (assuming your office is networked)?

10. MentalFabric thread starter macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

because unfortunatley that's more money than we're willing to spend :(
    i guess we're stuck with portfolio on the HD, what would you say the best way to go about keywording 80,000 images from CD's is? :)

11. iGary Guest

iGary

What are the images of?

We, for example are doing aerials of nautical/marine/marina/yacht facilities around the world. Our photographers nest their folders by location, so those end up being our keywords.

Almost two months of active shooting and I just passed 30,000 images processed. Our original estimate was 50,000 for each year. Ooops! Portfolio is great.

I like iPhoto for my fun images, personal images that are non critical (i.e. non revenue generating) and things I want to post online or save for later and have easy access to.

Seriously, Portfolio is the way to go.

Have you tried the free trial of iView or Portfolio?

12. MentalFabric thread starter macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

The images are, pretty much, of everything - they're from CD's (dover deskgallery) publishers use of non-copyrighted images to place wherever they're needed.
    I've tried portfolio but it takes forever to catalogue even one CD of images! i haven't tried iView. Is portfolio clearly superior?

13. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

Have you tried iPhoto Buddy.

Its a little app that you use to launch iPhoto, but you can set it to open different libraries.
    It works like a charm, as long as you're happy with the way iPhoto organises itself...

iPhoto buddy simply allows you to have more than 1 photo library.

14. iGary Guest

iGary

Try the above suggestion, too, but give iView a try - they have a free trial.

15. MentalFabric thread starter macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

that look perfect for my needs, thanks!