Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Si.

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2006
Hi all,

I have a large numbe rof photos stored in directories, ae there any scrits or tools that will import these images into iPhoto but retin the folder structure?

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
iPhoto won't save your folder info, just the pics.:( It will force you to have pics sorted by date taken/ edited until you have created iPhoto albums and folders where you want them.:( I'm not the expert, tho. mebbe there is a way...

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Si. said:
Hi all,

I have a large numbe rof photos stored in directories, ae there any scrits or tools that will import these images into iPhoto but retin the folder structure?
Don't know is this is exactly what you're looking for, but iPhoto 6.0 has an option under Advanced that lets you import photos into iPhoto but leave them in their original folders on your drive. So you could move your folders to your ~/Photos folder (or whereever you want them), set the preference, and then import them and it shouldn't touch the folder structure.

Using advanced options when importing from a hard disk

By default, iPhoto copies photos imported from your hard disk, leaving the originals in their original location and making duplicates for use in the iPhoto library.

However, if you already have an extensive collection of photos saved on your computer and you prefer to leave your photos in their current file structure, you can choose to have iPhoto point to your original photo files instead of copying them in iPhoto. Either way, you can still make full use of iPhoto.

What I found is that after a few weeks of using iPhoto, I never had a reason to browse thru the folders on the hard drive manually. If I wanted to email someone a pic, I find the pic in iPhoto and use the email wizard. If I wanted to update a picture to a website, I find the pic in iPhoto and drop it on the "Browse" window in the web browser and iPhoto fills in the path to the photo automatically. It's pretty cool.

Applespider

macrumors G4
srf4real said:
iPhoto won't save your folder info, just the pics.:( It will force you to have pics sorted by date taken/ edited until you have created iPhoto albums and folders where you want them.:( I'm not the expert, tho. mebbe there is a way...

That was only the case up to and including iPhoto 5

If you're using iPhoto 6, just go into its Preferences and tell it not to organise your Library and you can just point it at your current setup. It is slightly messier though and more likely to lead to iPhoto's structure being corrupted down the line since if you change things around in the future, iPhoto might not necessarily know about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.