Iphoto - importing from camera and saving pix

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BBasdas, Oct 11, 2006.

1. BBasdas macrumors member

BBasdas

hi all -

when i import images from my canon photo camera, i can only write a roll name like "birthday pix". But all the images are imported like "img_2324.jpg".
    how could i make all the images have titles as well. i want each image to have title like "RomeTrip_02" instead of "img_2324.jpg" while I import them from the camera or even now if i could change the ones i have that would be good too. (I know i can click on each and type a name, but i want to import like that as i used to do with PC)

thanks!!

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Well, I don't think you can import that way, but you CAN batch change the names, even including a number as you have indicated. Select the photos that you want to rename, then under edit (I think, at work now and not at the mac -- but you'll find it in the contextual menu dropdowns) choose batch rename/edit.

3. andrewfee macrumors 6502

This is exactly the sort of thing Automator was designed to do. I've never really used it before, but have created an app that should do what you're wanting: http://www.filefactory.com/file/1d6ff1/

(I just uploaded it to the first result on google for "free file hosting" so it's full of ads)

Put this in your applications folder, and open up Image Capture. Go to its preferences, and tell it to open the "Import Photos" app when a camera is connected.

Once this is done, when you connect up your camera, this box will appear:
    [​IMG]

You then pick the name for your files:
    [​IMG]

And finally, it imports into iPhoto, removes the images from your Pictures folder (where they were downloaded to) and asks your for an album name:
    [​IMG]

4. BBasdas thread starter macrumors member

BBasdas

Thanks! this works. in iphoto under Photos there is batch change and after selecting the images i want the title change i click on it and write it!
    THANKS FOR THE ANSWERS!

5. BBasdas thread starter macrumors member

BBasdas

oops

the title change happens on i photo, however they remain the same on finder, as files. :( how will i make it change the title file names of each image not only on iphoto but also as the original file name. when they are "img_2345" it becomes a torture when i want to send these files...

would the second suggestion help with this?

thanks

6. skybolt macrumors 6502a

First of all, stay out of the iPhoto library in finder. You are asking for trouble. Do all your editing, organizing, etc from within iPhoto. Renaming the files in finder will cause your library to become corrupt. Just let iPhoto organize the way it wants to and name the way it wants to. Send your files from within iPhoto. There is a button for emailing, use that. Or if you want to send many photos, use the export command and export to your desktop (or wherever) and send from there. This will preserve the names, etc. for the recipient. I cannot stress enough that you should stay out of the finder.

7. BBasdas thread starter macrumors member

BBasdas

ok! so that's what happened to some of my files. yes. i changed the names on finder then now they dont appear on iphoto anymore in viweing fully. now i understand the reason! Thanks!!

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yep, iPhoto is just like iTunes. It's there so that you never need to worry about filing your photos away - it does it for you so that you can get on with working with your images.

If you want to upload a photo to the web, just drag it from the iPhoto library window to the upload input window. Want to email a photo? Hit the email button. Everything you need to do with your photos is done through iPhoto. Leave the Finder well alone.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That looks exactly right for me, but I can't for the life of me see where to click to download it on the page you linked to... :confused:

10. BBasdas thread starter macrumors member

BBasdas

me too! i registered Free, but still does not allow me to download.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

So that link that says "Download for Free with File Factory Basic" doesn't work for you?

Because it worked for me.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Whoops, missed that little detail...:eek: