iPhoto/iPod Photo workflow

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by efoto, Apr 25, 2005.

1. efoto macrumors 68030

I guess I should list photoshop in there too...but here goes:
    Shooting all pictures in camera raw on a Nikon, which is .nef file format. iPhoto 5 can interperet camera raw files, however the iPod Photo cannot.

So my question: Does anyone have any good workflow ideas for getting images from raw into a format that the iPod does support? (using Photoshop CS, iPhoto)

[JPG, TIFF, PICT, GIF, PNG, JPG2000 or JP2, PSD, SGI, and BMP] - off Apple/Support page for iPod Photo

2. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if this will work (yet) or if it will cover all your bases, but this seems like a perfect case for Automator. I haven't done much image conversion at all, but I would assume iPhoto could do this, and I have not used Automator at all yet because I wasn't one of the lucky ones to get Tiger early, but it seems like the combination of these two programs (or likely soon-to-be-released Photoshop actions for Automator) should work for you.

3. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

What does 'automator' do? It is simply a automated batch like PSCS has? I know I can automate a batch and apply to all of the images in a given folder, but that is only a temp solution because I want to keep the images on my disk as raw. I do backups of the raw images once space gets tight, then I archieve them on my PC which has plenty of space (1Tb +). That way I have my current works on my PB for editting, an archieved copy on DVD (burned backup) and a quick-swap copy on my PC which serves a personal network at home.

Anyone know the max images size/resolution for the iPod Photo? What is a good size/res to output to maximize quality and minmize space on the iPod?

4. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

This is a perfect chance to use GraphicConverter. :) It will import NEF files from Nikon cameras, and then export as whatever you want. Fire it up and do a batch conversion. If you have a power machine (powerbook, powermac) then you have Graphic Converter.

If not, might i suggest buying it, as it'll save you tons of time :)

http://www.lemkesoft.com/en/graphcon.htm