iPhoto is sloow

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Poff, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Poff macrumors 65816

Sep 16, 2003
    Stavanger, Norway

I have a problem with iPhoto being excessively (spelling?) slow. I'm on a G4 iMac 700MHz 640MB RAM. OS X 10.3.9, iPhoto 2.0.1.

I've got a small library of 3220 pictures, but have had this problem for quite a while. (at least since 1500 pictures, I guess.)

I get the beachball a lot. If I rotate a picture, it will stay there for some 30-seconds or so. If I delete a pic, maybe 15 seconds? So managing my library of pictures is a pain, and I try to do most of it on the camera.

I recently deleted everything in the iPhoto trash and it helped. Now it doesn't beachball when going from watching one pic to watching the whole library.

Inside albums everything is snappy.

Anyone got an idea what this can be, or if there's anyway to fix this? I'm thinking my Mac should be able to handle more than a few thousand 4mpixel piccies, old Windows PC's seem to handle them well.

Thanks. :)
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Hmm... I dunno how you could clean it up other than maybe splitting the library or something, but that wasn't easy on earlier versions of iPhoto. Since we're now quite a bit ahead of iPhoto 2, maybe look into upgrading. iPhoto 6 is much faster but likely to be replaced within a month or so. Keep an eye on iLife 07 (and iPhoto 7) as to whether upgrading may be beneficial. :)
  3. Darwin macrumors 65816

Jun 2, 2003
    round the corner
    It has taken quite awhile for iPhoto to become more effient and for the most of the bugs to be ironed out.

When Apple designed iPhoto they were unprepeared for the amount of pictures that people would want to store on their computers, the bar had been set to low for how much iPhoto would be able to actually handle. Things have improved in iPhoto 6 but there is a bit more that can be done.
  4. MrSmith macrumors 68040

Nov 27, 2003
    Don't know if it's relevant to v2 but you could try selecting Film Rolls in the View menu. Also, unchecking drop shadow and outline in iPhoto Prefs (and anything else that might use up RAM) might make a wee difference.
  5. Poff thread starter macrumors 65816

Sep 16, 2003
    Stavanger, Norway
    Thanks for your comments. I tried dropping drop-shadows, but it didn't really help much. I guess I'll just have to burn some of my piccies to cd's instead of having them all in the library. (Or I could upgrade iLife, of course.) Sad fact. :)
  6. elppa macrumors 68040

Nov 26, 2003
  7. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2005
    thanks for the tip. it seems like my iPhoto v6 is more speedy now.