iPhoto is slowwww

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thejadedmonkey, Jan 2, 2007.

1. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I have 2207 photos in iPhoto (2.2gigs, give or take) and whenever i open it up, it kills my computer to the point that even esposé doesn't work smoothly, and forget about typing IM's in Adium until it finished loading. All I have open is Adium, mail, safari, and itunes usually when iPhoto does this to me. Closing iPhoto is just as bad. So... um, does this happen to everyone who uses iPhoto? Or am I just unique/special? and if it happens to everyone, how could apple have released something so crappalicious?

BTW I'm using iPhoto 5.0.4 with plans to upgrade to iLife o7 after MWSF.

EDIT: Ok, so I found this, and it turns out I have a Nikon camera, which is part of my problem. If I upgrade, will it speed up iPhoto? I'm reluctant to strip all of the EXIF data from my photos as I like knowing when they were taken and where... anyone else have any thoughts?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

I have 6894 images in my library and it takes iPhoto 6.0.5 about 5 seconds to launch on my MBP (2.16ghz w/ 2GB RAM).

Wasn't one of iPhoto 6s new features that it was "smooth like butter" (or however Steve phrased it)? That implied to me that iPhoto 5 was slow. :?

I can't wait to see what's in iPhoto 7.0!!!!

3. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

I think it was "scrolls like butter". But i'm not sure if it was showing off the new iPhoto or the new machines. (you know Intel etc.)

To the OP you need more RAAAM!

4. thejadedmonkey thread starter macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I don't think sooo. It takes 16 seconds to load, where my system is pretty much frozen (although it still plays music). Once it loads, it runs fine even if I'm switching from app to app, no slowdowns at all. I already doubled my ram to 512, and I don't have the extra $120 to afford a 1gig stick.

and I'll admit ram would help tons, there's no reason why my computer should freeze for 16 seconds when it's using the software it came with and double the RAM it came with. especially when no one else seems to have this problem except when there's a problem... not trying to be picky here, but there's gotta be a better solution than adding RAM.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

I think your plan to wait for iPhoto 7.0 sounds like the best. I wouldn't consider it an option to delete your images metadata.

6. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

iPhoto always opened a little slow on my old iBook and I had 8,000+ pictures in it. I'm not sure that it took 16 seconds though...

Have you tried opening it without all those other programs running? If it opens quicker when you first boot into OS X and not open anything else and open iPhoto first, then that means iPhoto is trying to use resources being used by other programs. I made it a habit to run iPhoto usually by itself on my iBook, but I also had 768 mb of RAM and that seemed to help too.