iPhoto Killing! Hard drive!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by topspin98, Oct 23, 2005.

1. topspin98 macrumors member

Dec 30, 2004

My photos for some reason are tripling and duplicating causing my 80GB hard drive from 80 GB to 20GB left! I was wondering if there was a solution to cleaning up this problem. Can i download a specifi program that will delete all duplicates found in iPhoto? Ive just purchases a tablet for my iBook and im going to get into the art with my photos with Photo Shop and my tablet. I will get a external drive to store my photos or put them on CDs, so i will have a HD. So any suggestions?

2. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2005
    Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
    Everytime you edit a photo in iPhoto, a duplicate is made. There ARE programs that will seek out and eliminate duplicates, I just don't know their names.

Fear not though, somebody here will undoubtedly know.
  3. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
  4. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast

Before you go deleting any of these photos, keep this in mind. iPhoto will always have two versions of each photo, one is the photo and the 2nd is the thumbnail. If you do any editing to a photo (including rotation), a third photo file is generated. This third photo is the original, unretouched photo.

If you start deleting duplicate photos, you'll lose the ability to "revert to original".

Just keep that in mind.
  5. dogbone macrumors 68020

Sep 16, 2005
    S33.687308617200465 E150.31341791152954

I used iphoto when it first came out and decided then and there it was a load of useless rubbish. If you have Photoshop then use the browser.

People I know that use iPhoto have 10,000 pictures on their HD, most of them rubbish. When I take some photos I just pop the CF card in the reader and drag the folder to the desktop. Then I browse it using Photoshop browser and delete all the rubbish. Rename the folder and put it in my pictures folder. Then I don't have millions of thumnails files and all those other mysterious folders and crap.

btw if you've got a tablet and you want to muck around with your photos I'd suggest you download the free demo version of Painter from corel.com