iPhoto launches when network drive is mounted at startup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mahashel, Aug 8, 2005.

1. mahashel macrumors 6502

mahashel

Hello all!
    My searches on this have turned up all kinds of nothing, so I'll go ahead and tell my sordid tale here, begging for a solution. :rolleyes:
    I have a Windows server running in my basement with a ridiculous amount of data on it. It is easy to map the server manually with my iBook, using the Finder. (Windows filesharing service is enabled, obviously, and I've set my Mac to the same workgroup as Windows box using DirectoryAccess)
    However, I start thinking.. "ya know, this is a fabulous OS, and I see no reason why I can't just mount that big honkin' server when I boot my Mac".
    Thus, I successfully tried several methods of mounting the server as a Login Item for my user account.
    The server mounts upon boot, but iPhoto immediately opens and trounces everything else! Cannot close iPhoto since it gripes about being in the middle of importing stuff. The only way to close iPhoto is to unmount the server, which utterly defeats the purpose of this exercise.
    Hello OSX 10.4.2? I said nothing about opening iPhoto nor importing anything. Yes, there are images on my server, but also thousands of mp3s, and you don't see iTunes being the bully here..
    Anyway, is there any logic to this? Can iPhoto be stopped?
    I've entered Image Capture and disabled all actions when camera is connected (in case network drive looks like a camera). Then disabled everything in iPhoto preferences remotely resembling Sharing.
    What else can I do? (no, deleting iPhoto isn't a solution) :D
    I've removed the auto-mount Login entry, and have gone back to mounting the server manually without issue. However, it seems like the Mac is really choking on this.. such a pity.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    How bizarre... I'd have suggested the Image Capture prefs route but if that's not working, I think I'm flummoxed.

Have you tried dumping your iPhoto prefs in case it hasn't picked up the Image Capture change? (grasping at straws here)

If not, it might be time to report another iPhoto bug to Apple or hope that the reported 10.4.3 fixes some of the Finder mounting issues as rumoured.

3. cbiffle macrumors member

Apple's been rather mum about what, specifically, causes iPhoto to start up. (I worked on a competing app for a while.)

You don't, by any chance, have a folder called DCIM in the root of the server share, do you?

4. mahashel thread starter macrumors 6502

mahashel

Not in root, no. But there are several DCIM folders (from a couple different camera models) a mere 2 or 3 directories deep. Does iPhoto look that far into the file structure on a mounted disk? Perhaps I could clean up my photo folders (probably needs done anyway) and remedy this. Ha!
    Thanks for the suggestions!

5. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Yup, that's what's causing it.

6. mahashel thread starter macrumors 6502

mahashel

Awesome! I'll check it when I get home.
    Seems weird that iPhoto kick-starts when the server is mounted at login, but doesn't do anything if I connect to it manually via Finder.

On a side note.. has anyone else configured their system to auto mount a server at login? I've heard conflicting reports of Macs either hanging or recovering if the server to be mounted is missing at boot. Since I have an iBook that travels a bit, it may be foolish from the get-go to configure this if it craters my system as soon as I leave my network. Can an auto mount be bound to my network 'Location'?