iPhoto Library Folders - Help me understand

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Darbydoggy, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Darbydoggy macrumors newbie

I have some pics that were taken with the camera date set wrong. The photos were from 2004, and the camera was set to 1999. When I look on the HD in the iPhoto library the photos are stored in a 1999 folder, in a month folder, and a day folder (as they should be). I mistakenly tried just renaming / dragging these folders into others that had the proper date in the finder to give them the right date, but then the iPhoto thumbnails (aliases?) could no longer find the parent file. I would see the thumbnails in iPhoto, but when dblclicking them to open in edit I would get a blank screen - also, the slide show would not work.

I deleted these tamperd with iPhoto library folders from the HD and re-imported the photos to restore the library (again with the wrong dates from the camera). I then changed the date using batch change from within iPhoto and that seemed to stick as far as the data displayed within iPhoto, but I noticed that they are still in the 1999 folder on the HD and not in the 2004 folder on the HD. Is there a way to make these library folders acurate as to date by either moving folders around (ie, dragging the 1999 folder contents into the 2004 folder) or changing the folder names in finder without confusing iPhoto?

Sorry for the long post, but I am trying to understand the iPhoto library stucture on the HD and would love to be able to make that look like the right dates even thought the camera metadata is wrong. (I have since set the camera date, but have a lot of pics with the wrong metadata).

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You need to update your library.xml file

Also, why is this important if you are using iPhoto? Let it manage everything and make your changes from within the application.