iPhoto - Not one successful homepage publish.

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by amnesiac1984, Apr 27, 2003.

1. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Hi I've recently discovered the delighs of publishing galleries to my homepage. However everytime I try it jsut corrputs the pics with strange colors, really starting to piss me off, been like this for weeks, check the link below to see what I mean.

http://homepage.mac.com/idioteque/PhotoAlbum8.html

I even tried uplaoding to idisk in using goliath or jsut mounting it on the desktop and even the finder previews look corrupt. Sometimes the finder previews in Idisk look right but when I go to homepage and create a site its corrupted, it seems the pics are sometimes getting corurpted while being uplaoded and sometimes while being turned into pages, All I know is that I've not managed to upload a single non-corrupt image. IS it my ISP even?

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

The only thing possible is that on the way the data is becoming corrupted... and it's definetely NOT the .Mac servers... I just uploaded a hundred some pictures.. no problems.

It could be your ISP... is there any other place you could try uploading the photos?

irmongoose

3. amnesiac1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I believe it may be my ISP, they suck, I'm on the Isle of Wight UK at the moment and we have this small start up who've been struggling after spending millions installing optical cabling all over the island. THey have already sold too many 512k connections so their bandwidth to the mainland is completely saturated, soon to be adding a new undersea pipe. I will be back in bristol by wednesday so it may work there. In fact I think it did cos shortly before coming down, I uploaded my website with no trouble and that includes pics. I know that iDisk sucks anyway, i can't get it to complete uploads or downloads most of the time, so I use Goliath (webdav client) which works Okay.

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

The .Mac servers are very very picky about file extensions and file names. Be sure your file name is not too long and the file extensions are correct before trying to upload.

You can also try just dropping your pictures in the pictures folder in your .Mac account. Then you go to your .Mac account homepage and create the photo album manually from the website.

5. amnesiac1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I tried all of those. Surely iPhoto chanfes the filenames anyway tho? Does it not? I also tried using my dad's .mac account and his didn't work. I even tried with some really small pics i downloaded off the internet, that didn't work. I really do think its my ISP, or even my router cos thats been playing up! IT sometimes cuts us off completely.

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

iPhoto often screws up on the file name conversion. Here's an idea. Click on my profile then go to my homepage. Download a pic from my homepage and try uploading that. If that doesn't work then have it out with your ISP.

7. amnesiac1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay give us a sec. I did upload some photos that i'd edited in photoshop with short filenames. Its not jsut iPhoto export, its any uploading to iDisk, no matter what I use.

8. amnesiac1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay here is the link for the new gallery i created from one of your apple campus pics, i like em btw.

And no it didn't work, btw the filename was pretty long too.

I will try just uploading a pic to my sites directory and linking it directly, see if that works as well.

edit: shortened filename, and uploaded it directly here

9. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Check with your ISP. This is getting serious.

irmongoose

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

It's almost like some sort of anti-piracy method done at the ISP level on uploads.

11. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

12. amnesiac1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nah don't worry, its more likely to be ISP incompetence. I live on a small Island and a small company called Wight-Cable was started and has since gone out of business twice or something, they are our only high bandwidth internet provider. There 128K or 512k options. We have 512k except it never goes near that speed because they have to many customers for their big pipe to the mainland, thats how crappy they are, but you can't blame em for trying. checkout their website to see how amateurish the whole thing is. http://www.iowctc.co.uk

I'm going back to uni in bristol tomorrow where I have decent telewest cable so I'm okay, I'll inform my dad about the problems. I wish I had more time to do some tests like uploading via ftp etc. There is something wierd about it, I can't run a server from my home network, and I can't figure out if this is the router or the ISP. The sister company, hosting and web design, however is really quite good, check my dad's website they jsut completed for us http://www.compotech.com

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

If your trying to setup a server to serve to the internet the problem is most likely that the ISP has blocked the port at there facility as they don't want people serving off of there service.