iPhoto Organization.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xlosltove777, Feb 24, 2007.

1. xlosltove777 macrumors member

I'm undergoing a bit of an iPhoto-organizatoin crisis. I spent this week on vacation, I can either organize it as an album Winter Break, or by things I did(mainly two concerts and jus random friend pics), or break down the concerts further into two seperate ones, or even bands. Or then I can add in the idea of folders. Does anyone have a system already set up for concerts/bands that I could borrow.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

while i don't have a system or direct suggestion... i do have two points.

1. organize it in the best manner that works for you.
    2. remember that you can have photos in multiple albums. so if you wanted to organize it for both the weekend and for the bands and concerts you easily could.

3. HungrySeacow macrumors regular

I like to organize mine not in albums, but with keywords. I find that gives the most flexibility.

4. scottij macrumors newbie

Do both!

You can have multiple keywords per photo, so just tag the pictures with keywords for all of the categories you find interesting.

I also recommend Keyword Manager:

http://www.bullstorm.se/KeywordManager.php

It's great for organizing and searching your keywords within iPhoto.

5. yes. macrumors newbie

Just organise them into "film roles", with names such as "Vacation" or "The Wiggles".

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Just make sure you give them a name that is meaningful to you.

FJ:apple:

7. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Or, create a folder for "Vacation " and then albums under that for the various activities -- concerts, etc. And do remember, you can have the same photo in multiple albums/folders.

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

Your mistake was to use the work "either".

With iPhoto you can organize your photos using EVERY method you can think of. Think of a public library. They have a stack of books and three card catalogs for Author, subject and title. So in effect they have their books organid three ways. You can tag your photos with keyworks and comments like "North Pole, John, Sleeping" and then make smart albums that group all the images with "john" together and likewise all the North Pole pictures together and then inside and "activity folder you can have smart albums for "sleeping" and "eating" and posably other activities.

I use keywords to describe the type of photo, macro, landscape, portrait, underwater,,, and the kind of subject, family, stuf I'm selling, animals,.... Then I use comments too and I also rate from 1 to 5 stars. Once the images are tagged like this I can make some very specific smart albums that capture say, my daughter, while on vaction with rating 4 or 5 stars between now and two years back.

The thing to understand is that an image cn be inside as many albums as you like but still there is only one copy in the iPhoto library.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'd create albums for everything I did (i.e. different ones for the concerts and then one for the friend pics).

Then I'd create an iPhoto folder called "Winter Break" and move those albums into it.

Anytime I click on the "Winter Break" folder, it'll show all of the pictures from each of the albums, but if I wanted to, I could expand the folder and click on a particular folder if I just wanted to see those shots.

If you're not familiar with that, Apple has a cool video on it.
    http://www.apple.com/ilife/tutorials/iphoto/ip3-1.html

10. skybolt macrumors 6502a

One thing NEVER to do is to try to organize your photos from the Library in finder -- do all your organizing from within iPhoto app itself. Havoc will ensue if you meddle with the finder.

Have fun! You have several good pieces of advice here!

11. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

That's pretty much what I do. I have folders for "trips" "Sporting Events" "Family Events" "Misc.", and then I have folders and albums within those. In my "holidays" folder I have another folder for "Halloween" "Christmas", and within those I have albums named "Halloween 2005" "Halloween 2006". I think it does a faily good job of organizing and I can find anything fairly quick. I don't use keywords as much as I would like to though.

12. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

You should arrange it however you feel most comfortable with.

Personally, I create a folder for each year, and then within each year have an album for each event, using the "DATE - DESCRIPTION" format (ex: 12/31/06 New year's Eve) album name format. When I go on vacation, I put everything from that vacation into one album with the date range in the album name (ex: 02/03/07 thru 02/10/07 Utah).

I do try to load keywords as well, but I generally don't have the time to do that as well as I'd like to...

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'm hoping that iPhoto 7.0 will make tagging with keywords a lot easier.

14. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

And Rating photos. I haven't found an easy way to rate photos in iPhoto. I wish that there was something similar to how Adobe Lightroom does it; It shows the photo and it's rating together and I can quickly choose it's rating. In iPhoto I have only figured out two ways to rate photos quickly. Either by starting a slide show and letting it go and rating each one as it shows or selecting a bunch that I want to have the same rating and then right clicking and giving them it, repeating for each rating level. I want to just see the rating next to the photo and change it to whatever, like in iTunes.

15. artalliance macrumors 6502

Sorry, maybe I am missing your point, but iphoto does have a very easy rating system that gets displayed in the picture info box in the lower right.

And as far as ease of use for rating - just a keyboard shortcut away:
    Picture 1.png

16. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Yeah, I know iPhoto displays it, but you can't click on that and change the rating. I guess I'm just a visual guy. I like how in iTunes it can be showing all the time and I can just click on any of the stars to change it's rating. That is what I want in iPhoto. I hardly ever use keyboard short cuts, mostly because I tend to lean back in my chair and just use my mouse. I'll give it a look when I get home after work.

17. artalliance macrumors 6502

You can do the clicky thing in iphoto. Lower right in the info box where it says rating.

18. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I guess I am just being really picky and like the way Lightroom does it. It displays the rating right on the photo and you can click that rating. I don't want to have to click on an image, then go down to the bottom corner to change the rating, then click on the next image and then again to the bottom. Or I could click on the "next" button but it is still a pain. Just seems like an obvious thing they would implement, or maybe I am the only one looking for that feature.

19. artalliance macrumors 6502

Ah gotcha.
    Yes, you are right - that would be easier. Should be an easy fix for Apple, it already displays the rating underneath the photo if you chose the display function.
    You should send a suggestion.

20. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Thanks for trying to help. I think I have sent a suggestion about this to Apple before, I send suggestions all the time so it's hard for me to remember, guess I could just do it again :).