iPhoto Password

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gello2424, Oct 23, 2003.

1. gello2424 macrumors member

May 25, 2003
    Though I am sure there isn't does anyone know if there is a way or a program that will make it so that when you try and open iPhoto it ask for a password?

I am just wondering like if I walk away from my computer real fast and the screen saver does not have time to kick on and a friends walks by and wants to take a little look at my pictures. This is fine but there is a few pictures that I might not want them to see. So a password would pop up before iPhoto starts and opens.

Thanks for any help!
  2. m4rc macrumors 6502

Sep 15, 2003
    Not that I know of, but I bet I am not the only one here curious as to the nature of these pics!!

3. gello2424 thread starter macrumors member

May 25, 2003
    Lets just say I have a very very very sexy soon to be wife! And on top of that there are some her modeling shots that are worth some money and some that are sold that we can't get take the chance of being coppied.

Don't want any trouble. :)
  4. drizahy4 macrumors member

Jul 23, 2002
    well as nice as those pictures may be. Locking them from iphoto is only a bit of the problem. You can just go to the iphoto folder and look at them. So it has to do both lock from iphoto and access to the folder itself.
  5. slowtreme macrumors 6502

May 27, 2003
    Tampa FL
    Use FileVault and password your home dir.

Tommorow of course, when 10.3 is out
  6. gello2424 thread starter macrumors member

May 25, 2003
    I figured there wasn't anything but it was worth a try thanks for all the help.
  7. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2003
    Look for file encryption utilities. People will still be able to open up iPhoto but all of the files you select would be encrypted. Just a thought.
  8. jzieske macrumors regular

Jun 28, 2003
    Bloomington, MN
    Hot Corners

You could just set up a hot corner for your screen saver and when you get up put your mouse in that corner and bam instant password protection. The option is listed with your screensaver settings.
  9. spaceballl macrumors 68030

Nov 2, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm not sure how old this thread is, but i was searching for a plugin or something for iTunes. I have a couple pretty sensitive picture folders. It would be cool if someone could just be blocked from viewing those alblums. I mean i know in theory someone could just look through my photo library or directories, but most people just browse from alblum to album. Let me know guys.
  10. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    to secure data, i don't think you will be able to use iphoto. the standard way to secure data is to get a piece of encryption software, and encrypt the photos. check download.com for types of software that is avaiable. after that use secure erase in your trash can to delete the original copies of the photos. its a pain, but security comes with a price. filevault on os x works, well but anyone with your computer password could access the photos anyways. if you want to lock everyone from your account that is the easiest and safest way to do it. if you use filevault you won't have to do the secure erase, but other people with accounts on your mac won't be to access the directory because it is in encrypted.
  11. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    About 7 months :eek: