iPhoto + Photo Stream = Slowdown & CPU Spike?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by icemantx, Feb 17, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

I need some help and guidance...

I have been using my 2009 iMac 24" for a few years and have an iPhoto Library of about 44,000 photos (140GB). Recently I removed my SuperDrive and replaced it with a Crucial M4 256GB SSD that I "fused" to my 2TB WD Black HD - installed Mountain Lion and then restored from Time Machine - all went smoothly. The one app I was looking to see performance gains from was iPhoto.

However, I am not seeing the performance gains on iPhoto I was expecting - in particular closing the app. So I rebuilt the iPhoto Database - still the same... Downloaded iPhoto Library Manager and made a "rebuilt" copy of my iPhoto Library and still the same - most of the time.

So I got to thinking - what the heck is causing this slowdown and CPU spike on closing? Then I discovered when I turn off Photo Stream all together iPhoto closes just about instantly and no CPU spike.

No matter what boxes I have checked on for Photo Stream, if any are checked, iPhoto takes up to 30 seconds to close. My internet connection is about 30mbps down and 5mpbs up. I would like to have photo stream enabled so my iPhone photos get imported into iPhoto automatically and I can create shared photo streams.

Does anyone else see this with iPhoto and Photo Stream enabled?

2. thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone?

3. macrumors member

i have the same thing on my mbp no sad with photostream enabled.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Is this a known issue? Would be nice if there was a way to know what iPhoto is doing on shutdown to slow things...

5. macrumors member

I think it's making changes to the library so I'm not sure it's an "issue" per say.