iPhoto picture book/album

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jaws01, Dec 20, 2006.

1. jaws01 macrumors member

Has anyone ordered a photobook/album though apple?
    how is the quality in the hard cover version?

2. eyedoc_00 macrumors regular

I have ordered 2. A medium sized soft cover and a large size hard cover. I should get the medium book tomorrow and the hard cover on friday. I will give more feedback when I receive them.

3. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Previous thread here.

I ordered a hardcover last year and was very pleased with it. This year I ordered a calendar and that was great, too. Not National Geographic standard, of course, but certainly good enough for family memories. The above link has some useful info about the resolution of photos sent from iPhoto.

4. Gee macrumors 65816

They're great. Order one, you won't be disappointed.

5. eyedoc_00 macrumors regular

I just got my soft cover book...

I think it looks great. It will be a great gift for the parents. The picture quality is great.
    I should get the hard cover book tomorrow.
    Based on the soft cover book, I would recommend getting an iPhoto book.

6. qua macrumors member

I recently put together an iPhoto book of my wife's paintings. It did a great job. a couple of things you should watch though:
    1- pages with two images tend to place the images with no space between - use Photoshop to place a white space next to one.
    2- sharpen to the max tolerable
    2- set your color saturation where you want it and then add 10%

7. Gee macrumors 65816

I would also add: set the brightness/exposure where you want, then add a little. The pics seem to come out just a tad dark.

8. Dandaman macrumors 6502

how long does it take to receive a book once you've ordered one?

daniel

9. artalliance macrumors 6502

I got my 5 different book orders all within 10 days - and that was during Holiday season.

10. artalliance macrumors 6502

1 - that depends on the template you are selecting. "modern lines"(?) allows you space between the shots. you kind of have to play around with the different templates...apple should tweak that a bit more

2 - i would not recommend increasing the saturation. my print looked pretty much right on, with the colors nice and poppy - but then I also like more desaturated colors to begin with ;)

11. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i ordered several large hardcover albums with 60-80 pages. quality was amazing.
    no tweaking of colors. delivery was after 6-8days.

however independent websites offer similar services, better prices, more themes and variety and have the same print quality.

the only reason to go with iphoto is because its convenient. for the other services you need to uplaod your images first and then make the layouts.

12. artalliance macrumors 6502

and that's why i love the mac. :D

to go through a different service, my 80 page album would have taken forever to design. time is money - and i love the drag and drop :p

13. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i agree. i just wish they would offer more formats of books and more themes. should be easy because the services already exist elsewhere.

the drag and drop from iPhoto is just great though.

14. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

It's great, but I hope it never gets to the stage where other companies offer much better products and we're forced to decide between convenience and 'quality'. T'would be a bummer.