iPhoto problems - images not accessible

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kwijibo, Feb 12, 2007.

1. kwijibo macrumors newbie

Feb 12, 2007
    Hi there,

I am fairly new to Mac, so excuse me if this is simple. I searched this forum but couldn't find the answer.....

I am using iphoto, and have been for a few months. All fine. However, last night I went to find a couple of images, and my library was not there. It kinda is, as when I use the scroll tab and drag it down, most images are there, but when I stop, they all vanish again. If I go into a particular folder, the icons are there at the top, but the chosen image is just the dotted line box with an exclamation mark in it. I tried dragging the files back in (they are there in the hard drive), but no luck. I tried rebuilding iphoto library, no luck....any ideas?

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Feb 20, 2005
    Nashville, TN, USA
    Have you recently done any modifications to the library via finder? REorganizing, renaming, etc.? This can cause the behavior you are experiencing. Give us more info, please. What version of iPhoto, what computer, etc.
  3. jazzmatt macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2007
    iphoto exclamation mark

First post on this - I hope someone can help me!
    I've got the exact same problem, but I know exactly why it happened. my own foolishness.
    the external hard drive that I have the photos on came loose while i was using iphoto. next time i opened it up and every time since then I just see the exclamation marks in the library.
    all the photos are still viewable in finder on the firewire drive.
    how can i get them back into iphoto?

someone help - please!

cheers:confused: :(
  4. peter whittaker macrumors newbie

Feb 19, 2007
    Sunshine Coast, Australia

You could try this ... drag your iPhoto library file out of "pictures" and onto the desktop. Rename the file anything you want (eg. photo's). Reload iPhoto and you will get a dialogue saying there is no library and do you want to create one. Answer "yes" and iPhoto will load with no pictures in the library. Go to "File"-"import to library" and select "desktop" then the file you have renamed. If the photo data has been saved OK then it will import the pictures into iPhoto. You can then Trash the file on your desktop.

Incidently, you might like to find a script called "iPhoto Librarian" (just Google it) it is a great way to keep control of iPhoto!
  5. jazzmatt macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2007
    problem solved- iphoto thumbnails

thanks for tip - didn't work tho!
    I rang up Apple care: all I needed to do was hold down option key when I clicked to open iphoto then 'choose library'.
    all sorted, can see and edit all photos as before
    anyone else who has this problem could try that
    otherwise, hold down option and apple key and click on iPhoto icon. keep keys held down until rebuild library option comes up. then choose relevant rebuild option.