iPhoto Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mogenshu, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Mogenshu macrumors newbie

Jan 25, 2006
    Hey everyone. I have a 20" iMac intel circa 2005. I was just wondering if anyone has had iPhoto instability problems. I have about 5000 photos in iPhoto and I find it very sluggish and inconsistant. Scrolling always takes a long time and drag and drop functionality doesn't always work. One major annoyance for me is that when you click on the red circle to close the iphoto window it doesn't just hide the program like every other mac app, it closes iphoto completely. Does anyone know the reason behind this? Inconsistencies drive me nuts. lol Anyone find anything that helps speed up iphoto? Thanks for allowing me to rant :)
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    If you can be bothered, you could split your iPhoto library into a selection of smaller libraries. Holding OPTION whilst opening iPhoto gives you the option of creating a new library or selecting a different library. Personally, I find iPhoto to be zippy enough but I only have about 2,000 images. It is a bit of a RAM hog though, so if you're finding that it's slow whilst you're doing other tasks, then maybe buying more RAM would be beneficial. :)