iPhoto question : Originals

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LukeW, Jan 13, 2007.

1. LukeW macrumors member

Nov 14, 2005
    Hi. I have been doing a lot of gig photography, often filling up my 1GB flash card. I upload them into iPhoto. I have noticed that the files where taking up a lot more room than I thought they should and when checking I found that a lot of the pictures when in their respective iPhoto files where getting duplicated in another folder called Originals. I understand that this is for keeping copies of the pictures after they have been edited or changed in some way so you can revert if you make any alterations in iPhoto. However I have done nothing to the pictures except look at them. It is practically 1:1 duplication and of course means that 1GB of photos are taking up 2GB of hard disk which is daft as well as a complete waste since I dont even do any editing in iPhoto, and I havent even touched these recent pictures, yet there is still a file full of duplicates. Is there a way of turning the Originals option off, or deleting these pictures. I have tried before but it just grows back again the moment iPhoto is opened again. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am stumped!
  2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    That's rather odd; I use iPhoto for most of my photos and I haven't noticed it duplicating anything unless I actually edited the photo.

This is a totally random guess, but I don't suppose you're working in RAW or some such, which might require some sort of initial work to be viewed in iPhoto?
  3. LukeW thread starter macrumors member

Nov 14, 2005