iPhoto question...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chuchichan2524, Dec 21, 2005.

1. chuchichan2524 macrumors regular

I like iPhoto, but am a little skeptical of using it. My main concern is that it seems to create a second image in the "iPhoto library". For example, if I have a .jpg file in a folder on my hard drive and I import it into iPhoto, it seems that in addition to that (say 2mb) image being in my photos folder it will then create a 2mb file in the iPhoto library. It also seems to create a thumbnail file image too. That I can actually understand.

Is there a way to set iPhoto not to create this file? It seems like a waste of hard drive space.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No.

iPhoto maintains it's library of pictures. The intention is that use let it worry about where the picture is and don't store pictures on your hard-drive outside of iPhoto.

3. kerpow macrumors 6502

Its odd that iTunes allows you to move your library to another location yet iPhoto doesn't.

Whilst it might seem a little annoying to have to delete the original after its been imported (though you could probably set up a workflow in Automator to do this) it does make sense to have a centralised store for photos. I just connect my camera to my Mac and import them directly into iPhoto. It even deletes the originals off my camera nce its completed.

4. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

^^^ Ditto. I just moved my iPhoto library to my external HDD and whenever I import pictures in from my cameras, they are copied in the proper places and deleted from the flash memory. Very convenient :).

5. kerpow macrumors 6502

Huh, I didn't know you could move the library. I just Googled it and found out how.

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mac911/2004/02/000067/index.php

My library is only 2gb so no big deal but I've just bought a new Kodak V530 (looks awesome, can't wait to use it) so it may start growing quite quickly.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You could also just use iPhotoBuddy http://www.nofences.net/iphotoBuddy/ to manage a couple of libraries. e.g. have your most recent/favorite photos on an internal drive and a larger library on an external drive.

B

7. enckwanzer macrumors member

Yup -- iPhotoBuddy is pretty great. The hard part is deciding which photos to keep on your local drive. Picking and choosing from my 10,000+ library is a challenge, but quickly becoming necessary.