iPhoto Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrMan112, Feb 4, 2005.

1. MrMan112 macrumors member

Feb 4, 2005
    I have a few questions about using iPhoto.

I've been transferring pictures from my PC to my new G4 Powerbook. Once they're in the Pictures folder, I've then been transferring them to iPhoto and sorting them into albums.

Once I've done this, is it OK to delete the original files?

I'm not sure if iPhoto makes a copy of the picture in the iPhoto Library folder.

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    I'm sure you can delete your original folder but do not delete the iphoto library folder. iPhoto makes its own copy, thats why it imports.
  3. MrMan112 thread starter macrumors member

Feb 4, 2005

Does that go for iTunes as well?

Sorry for the questions.... my first mac!
  4. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2004
    American living in Canada
    Yes, iTunes and iPhoto make their own copies of files and save them in their preferred folder managing system. In fact, with iPhoto, when you edit the appearance of a photo, it creates a separate file, thus, the wait for the computer to save changes after editing. I always search in my iphoto library for "originals" since that is the name given to the folder containing the original unedited version of a photo. Caution though! With iPhoto '05, the videos that are extracted from a digital camera are saved in the "Originals" folder, so deleting that will erase the video. I have done that a few times myself. The thumbnail of the video will stay in iPhoto, but the video will be missing.
  5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    But iTunes for Windows doesn't do this by default. Something I have my friends change ASAP...
  6. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    for iTunes, check the preferences. in the advanced tab, there's an option to turn on/off copying the songs to the iTunes Library.

for iPhoto, if you want copies of pictures for non-iPhoto usage, make sure to "Export" from within iPhoto. don't go messing around inside the iPhoto Library - it's a mess and you may also mess up something.
  7. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

Dec 8, 2003
    If you're on a new mac install of ilife, and you havn't changed anything then both itunes and iphoto make their own copies. So you can delete eveything once you import it.