Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMan112

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2005
I have a few questions about using iPhoto.

I've been transferring pictures from my PC to my new G4 Powerbook. Once they're in the Pictures folder, I've then been transferring them to iPhoto and sorting them into albums.

Once I've done this, is it OK to delete the original files?

I'm not sure if iPhoto makes a copy of the picture in the iPhoto Library folder.

Thanks

MrMan112

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2005
Thanks.

Does that go for iTunes as well?

Sorry for the questions.... my first mac!

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
Yes, iTunes and iPhoto make their own copies of files and save them in their preferred folder managing system. In fact, with iPhoto, when you edit the appearance of a photo, it creates a separate file, thus, the wait for the computer to save changes after editing. I always search in my iphoto library for "originals" since that is the name given to the folder containing the original unedited version of a photo. Caution though! With iPhoto '05, the videos that are extracted from a digital camera are saved in the "Originals" folder, so deleting that will erase the video. I have done that a few times myself. The thumbnail of the video will stay in iPhoto, but the video will be missing.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
KD7IWP said:
Yes, iTunes and iPhoto make their own copies of files and save them in their preferred folder managing system.

But iTunes for Windows doesn't do this by default. Something I have my friends change ASAP...

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
for iTunes, check the preferences. in the advanced tab, there's an option to turn on/off copying the songs to the iTunes Library.

for iPhoto, if you want copies of pictures for non-iPhoto usage, make sure to "Export" from within iPhoto. don't go messing around inside the iPhoto Library - it's a mess and you may also mess up something.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
If you're on a new mac install of ilife, and you havn't changed anything then both itunes and iphoto make their own copies. So you can delete eveything once you import it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.