IPhoto - "Recovered Lost Photos" message?????

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by idea3, Nov 13, 2004.

1. idea3 macrumors newbie

Hi

I have this problem with my IPhoto application.
    I use IPhoto4 and every time I download my pics from camera, or import them from somewhere, I get this message after closing the software and opening it again..."Recovered Lost Photos". It shows right after "Loading Photos" when you open the program. It cancels all my rolls, all the pics are beeing thrown in to one folder. I kind of managed to keep them separate in different folders, but it is annoying as hell.
    It creates those recovered pictures folder, one after another.
    Any ideas what's wrong?
    thanx for any help...:)

2. mslifkin macrumors regular

mslifkin

Hi,

Have you tried repairing permissions? If that doesn't help you can try renaming your iPhoto Library, then launch iPhoto (it will create a new iPhoto Library) and re-import your pictures. The thing is, each group of pictures you import (you can just select them in the Finder, then drag and drop them into iPhoto) will be considered a "roll", so if you select them all at once you'll have 1 roll with all your pictures in it. If you take the pictures from your original iPhoto Library, they should be sorted in separate directories by date (year, month, day), so that might make things a little easier. Good luck!

Regards,
    Marc

3. theposse macrumors regular

Hope this helps

When I download my photos they automatically go into the iphoto library and then its upto you where you want to put them.
    Example i have 500 photos in library which are all the originals and then i have copies in all the other 20 albums i have created.
    I have say 20 photos in FAMILY and then 45 in DOGS and so forth
    Are you new to mac or have you recently upgraded your iphoto software.If you have recently upgraded then the new iphoto software will automatically look for any photos you have ever deleted hence the "recoverd photos message".i got the same message when i upgraded and then when i photo opened there was 500 little windows but no photos....Because it couldn't find them ..there weren't there!!!!...Computers are strange...
    take it easy mate.
    Scottie

4. idea3 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you guys for your help, I will give it a try...

I did, rename my IPhoto library and trashed the old stuff.
    After I download the the photos I have a roll called "last roll" - where the pics went. Now I have 3 questions...
    1 Can I rename it?
    2 Will the next downloaded photos go to the same roll?
    3 Should I create a new Album/Folder and (in IPhoto library) move them and keep them there?

I am not new to the Mac environment, but new to the IPhoto, which confuses me slightly (gently speaking)...:)

Thanx again

5. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

6. mslifkin macrumors regular

mslifkin

The pictures should be in your Photo Library. They also show up in "last roll" because that was the "last roll" you imported. The next time you import pictures, they will replace what's in last roll, and will get appended to your Photo Library. If you turn on View .. Filmrolls you'll see each import as an individual "roll" with it's own name and date. You can rename the rolls, and change the date. In iPhoto 4.0.3 you can even move pictures from roll to roll, just by dragging and dropping.

When you create albums, you're actually creating pointers to the photos, not copying them. So, if you delete an album, you only delete the pointers, not the images themselves. Just think of an album as a playlist in iTunes; it's the same kind if thing. Actually, new to iPhoto 4 is the ability to create "smart albums", when images match the criteria you set they're automatically added to the album. So, if you set keywords on all your images, you can create a smart album of all the images that have the keyword "dog", for example. Pretty slick, if you ask me!

Regards,
    Marc

7. idea3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanx Mark...

It is much clearer now to me, how the thing works, plus I fixed this "recovered photos" crap.
    :)

8. mslifkin macrumors regular

mslifkin

You're welcome. Glad I could help. There's a tremendous amount of functionality built into all the iLife apps. Unfortunately, it's not very well documented by Apple. Fortunately, it is very well documented by David Pogue in his Missing Manual series of books. It might be worth a look.

Cheers,
    Marc