iPhoto, Renaming Rolls?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by illegalprelude, Aug 9, 2006.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Hey you guys, as I discover more about my Mac, the more im learning how to do things and one of them thats always bugged me is a good way of organizing my photo's via iPhoto. I 1st started with many albums but that got redundent fast with the amount of photo's i have (2992...odd number right now lol) then I tried keyword but with all the different things, its also getting out of hand.

I know then discovered I could have named my film rolls I import. I had not known that but when I go back to my last 12 Months rolls, it seems though I cannot go and name rolls again. Am I missing something? I have iLife 05 as it goes.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

As I recall it's the same in '05 as in '06. (BTW. iPhoto '06 alone is worth the price of the upgrade, so consider it, even though '07 is probably only 5 months away...).

You can rename the film roll by clicking on the name in the information pane at the bottom left corner of the screen.

B

3. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

ahhh!! I see, you can highlight the roll, then click Info and under Title, change it! Thanks a bunch! :eek: :D Now I can add a little sanity!

4. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Just to add a little in your quest for organization: did you know you can create folders in iPhoto to place your albums in? I, too, had organiztion problems until I discovered this. Just go to File-->New Folder in the iPhoto menu to create a folder. You can then drag and drop your various albums into folders. That way, you can have one folder for "Holidays," one for "Random Stuff;" etc.

I've got 8777 photos in iPhoto right now, and with a combination of albums and folders, everything is nicely organized.

5. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

ahhh Very interesting...I now have made a new folder but it dosent show under Library. It does show on the left hand side where albums are, no problem but then when I accress my Albums or Library, I cannot drag files into it. Is there a way to do it? Or only from now on can I drag files into it for new pics?

6. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

The folders are to nest albums in. So you can have a list of folders full of albums instead of just a list of albums.

Another good tip is that (at least in '06) you can drag photos directly from one roll into another, so your rolls don't literally have to be based on what you imported when.

7. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

ahhh!!! ic ic!! Very informative indeed!

8. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Additionally, you can change the date on the rolls and on the photos in that same pane. This has been helpful to me as I scan and digitize all my old photos. Then they appear in the list of rolls in the approximate chronological order (based on my failing memory of when some were taken).