iphoto reset!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stevey500, May 13, 2005.

1. stevey500 macrumors 6502

Okay... I was being dumb and renaming my User folder in Root > Users > "Username" and i logged out and back in... well my settings were gone... dangit... I launched iphoto.. i dont know why, but it appeared that my library is EMpty.. i have over 9000 photos I have taken. I checked my iphoto folder... and everything is still there ( RELIEF! ) I renamed my user folder to what it use to be... logged out and back in, everything is back to normal, settings are back and all. Launched iphoto, no photos, iphoto folder still full. How do I get iphoto to read my iPhoto library??? I do not want to do an import because that will take ALL night and I dont think I have enough hard drive space to do so. I am running iPhoto 5 and OS X Tiger 10.4

Thanks

2. cemorris macrumors regular

Try holding down the option plus command (apple) key as you launch iphoto. It will then ask you if you want to rebuild your library.

3. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

It gives me a few options, which ones should i check?? Will I loose my film rolls or "date image taken" data? thanks.. .I feel so stupid

4. thevessels macrumors regular

before you do anything make an archive zip of your iphoto library folder . just to be safe ... that always gives me peace of mind before i start tampering with 3 years of memories ... ;)

but i also had that problem a while ago . where iphoto wouldnt recognize any photos after a certain date . but one day it just started working again ... sorry i dont have any secret or anything

5. cemorris macrumors regular

Well i have not yet had to rebuild any iphoto stuff yet, I just know if the option. I guess I would try them one at a time until it fixes the problem. Seems like the most likely solution might be option 3 to rebuild the database.

I definatly agree with the above post in that you should make a backup first before trying anything.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

AFAIK, rebuilding will lose your film roll info, although probably not the date taken info (since that should be in EXIF inside the image files).

Look inside your pictures folder, and see if iphoto created *another* library in there, that doesn't have any photos in it. If it did create one besides your library (with the 9k photos in it), then delete the *OTHER* empty library while iPhoto is not running. It should, when it opens again, tell you it has no library and ask you if you want to create a new one or locate one on the HD. Then you can just point it at your library, and you should get it back. If you do it this way, you should not lose film roll data.