iPhoto Roll Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sesshi, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I logically understand the way iPhoto works. However it's not really a way I'm used to, and I don't see the benefits in switching to the way it works as default.

I'd just like to see stuff in a folder structure. Is there a way to switch iPhoto to working like that?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Not really, but you can just not see the rolls if they bother you so much.

What's your ideal structure?

B

3. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yeah, but you can do flat folders = film rolls, so what do you intend as "depth" in the folder tree?

Maybe you could do what you want with multiple libraries...

B

5. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Or just use folders and albums within iPhoto. Just don't mess with the structure in the Finder -- disaster awaits those who do! Lost photos, etc. are rampant when the Finder library is messed with!

The iPhoto program (in the Finder) files your photos by year, then month, then day. Therefore, quite logical, I think!

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

That's how I felt about iTunes, and even after being told the benefits, it took a few weeks of playing around and using iTunes before it finally made sense.

The biggest complaint I had about iPhoto was that when I needed to upload a picture (like as an email attachment for Yahoo! mail, or to a friend on iChat), I used to hate using Finder and drilling down thru the folders, trying to remember the year > month > date that it was taken (to find the correct folder).

Then I read that you can open iPhoto and simply drag the picture into iChat, or if a web app like Yahoo has a text box where you're supposed to type the path to your file, if you use iPhoto to drag the picture to that text box, iPhoto will fill in the path for you automatically.

I've been in love ever since. :)

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I though iPhoto 06 stores them by film roll now, and the behaviour you describe is only for iPhoto '05 or earlier.

B

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

9. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I don't have it in front of me but I think that is now an option, but not the default.

10. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

Is it me or does anyone like the Picasa style better? Before you flame me, listen to what I'm saying. I love the fact that once you plug in your camera, iPhoto is ready to import your pictures. However, what if you want to "folder" your pictures accordingly? I mean, I don't always go home and stick my memory stick into my Mac and upload and categorize the pictures based a certain month. Maybe there's an option that someone can help me on (would be terrific) but there are a couple of "Myspace" pictures on my camera (my brother) and some family pictures on certain trips. I went on two trips within about a week and I want to be able to sort these. Why does it default the uploads like that? Why can't we just choose and select to our taste?

Basically, I'd like to have the ability to upload pictures from the camera without having to upload EVERYTHING in it. Also, why isn't the library organized on Folder location? It's ordered by Month which kinda annoys me.

11. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Hmmm... Got to try Picasa. Thanks for reminding me about it. I have GraphicConverter which is a brilliant piece of software, but I never liked browsing on it.

12. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

You can do this... just use Image Capture to set Image Capture as your default app for inporting images. Then you can import just some, or all, to wherever you want, and add them to iPhoto later.

Also, I believe the new iPhoto allows you to organize it either way, as posted above.

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It's the default I think. When you upgrade from iPhoto 5, it recreates a new file system based on the folder names.

To make decksnap's Image Capture tip even better, you can set up an Automator action to import photos into iPhoto and set that up as an action in Image Capture so it downloads and automatically loads into iPhoto the images that you've selected.

Still, it would be nice to have something under the preferences that would let you choose whether to download all or some.

14. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

hmmm. My somewhat convoluted workflow uses automator, but differently. I import with Image Capture, then run my automator script from the finder that batch renames, batch comments, and imports to iPhoto. I have realized that iPhoto inexplicably strips these comments from my photos, but damnit, I'm leaving it in the workflow in hopes they'll fix that.

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Mine is probably similar. It's set up to import from image capture but then on import, it immediately runs the batch rename and import into iPhoto.