IPhoto Shared Database?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrfrosty, Jun 30, 2006.

1. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

In IPhoto is there any way to have a shared database?

For example, my wife uses IPhoto to import photo's under her ID. I do the same with my ID and obviously they are stored seperately.

It would be much better for us if it were just a single database such that she can see mine and I can see hers......so to speak...

2. Phil A. Contributor

Phil A.

I've never tried it, but if there isn't an iPhoto database in your pictures folder you get prompted to create or open an existing database. Maybe if you copied the database to a location on the disk where you both have access (try creating a folder from the root of Macintosh HD and setting the permissions to give you both full access), you could both select it when starting up iPhoto.
    As I said, I've not actually tried this so it's all theory!

3. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

If you have iPhoto '06, then you can tell iPhoto not to copy pictures when you import them. Just place your photos in a folder that both of you can access and drag and drop them into your iPhoto albums. Each of you will end up with different albums and what not, but you won't need two sets of the same pictures.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That, or use iPhoto Buddy. You can even have multiple libraries, some of which don't even have to be on your HD. It can be on an external HD. :)

I have 3 libraries. ;)