iPhoto - Sharing photos with 2 different user profiles in OSX?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Spliff, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Spliff macrumors regular

I have two profiles setup in Tiger, one for myself and one for my wife. When I upload photos to my profile in iPhoto, she cannot access these (which I know has to do with priveleges etc).

I tried changing the authority of my 'Pictures' folder in my profile to 'Read & Write' for all users but that doesn't seem to work.

Anybody else know how I can do this? I imported photos on her side, however I somehow think I am duplicating them all on her profile so that essentially we have multiple copies of every photo which isn't what I want.

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Assuming you want to share a single iPhoto library, on the same machine, the easiest way of doing it would be to move your iPhoto Library Folder to the 'Users>Shared' folder. You can then point iPhoto to this folder, by holding down the Option key whilst opening iPhoto. Do this for both accounts - but make sure you only have one instance of iPhoto running at any one time.

You can also do the same with iTunes, if you have a load of music/podcast/videos to share as well.

3. Spliff thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply, that's the EXACT answer that I was looking for!! :p So much to learn with my new MBP (and new OS!). Great so far though!

Good to see another fellow BC'er on here, I'm from Coquitlam :)

4. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

There's a few of us on here, some more obvious than others :cool:

5. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

edit: see below post.

I am sorry to say this, but it doesn't work. Other users do not have permission to choose the iPhoto library, and even if they do, iPhoto crashes when you try to import new photos.

iTunes also has a problem with this, because you cannot import cd's into the shared library.

Do you know how to fix this problem?

6. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Update: I made it work both in iTunes and in iPhoto but you need to determine the correct permissions for the library folder: others + group (whichever group) needs to have read + write access to the folder and voila. You can import and share all you want.

7. MikeD macrumors newbie

I'm a mac newbie and I tried to get this to work also, but I could never get each user to be able to work with the photos (editing wouldn't work). I finally purchased ipartition and created a new partition just for iphoto. Then you can set that partition to ignore ownership, then each user has full control over the photos. There may be other ways to accomplish this, but I could never get them to work.

The downside is that now iDVD and iMovie can't automatically find iphoto and I have to browse manually to the find the iphoto pictures. If someone could tell me a way to fix this, I would really appreciate it!