iPhoto slideshow defaults

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Peter A, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Peter A macrumors newbie

Is there any way I can change the default settings for the slideshow function in iPhoto (5.0.4)?
    Specifically, I would like 'play music' deselected by default, ditto Ken Burns, and the default setting of 3 seconds increased to 8.
    From a newbie standpoint I guess an Applescript could be written to do this each time. So a good excuse to learn about scripting. But I would prefer to change the settings 'at source' if possible.
    Any suggestions welcome.

2. russed macrumors 68000

russed

even simpler than an apple script - put the settings as you wish, then click on the "save options" button (bottom left of the options window).

easy peasy :D

3. Peter A thread starter macrumors newbie

Errm... no 'save options' button here unfortunately! Only Cancel and OK. Are you by any chance using iPhoto6 ? The inclusion of that feature might prompt me to upgrade, if so.

Attached Files:

4. russed macrumors 68000

russed

oh yes i am using iPhoto 6, i got 5 and 6 mixed up! sorry,

[​IMG]

the upgrade from 5 to 6 is worth it in my opinion.

i hadnt realised that this was a new addition but it is something that had annoyed me previously, always having to change my settings as i dont like ken burns.

5. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

This feature is not unique to iPhoto 6, because I'm using iPhoto 5 & have the ability to "Save Settings."
    Specifically, I'm using 5.0.4.
    I had the same annoyances as you (esp. music & Ken Burns) & was able to change the presets.
    Peter A, how did you pull up the screen you showed?
    On mine, when I hit the "play" button, I get the menu box that russed showed. I would post my screen image, but I don't know how (sorry!).

6. Peter A thread starter macrumors newbie

Aha, thanks. I see they've tabbed music in there as well in 6. I've been prevaricating because there are two Macs to upgrade, so double wallet damage. (If the two run different versions of something it drives me nuts...). Hopfully a command line guru will read the thread and know how to force the changes... deep in a system file, lies the answer!

7. Peter A thread starter macrumors newbie

Peter A, how did you pull up the screen you showed?

I'll just answer this before I go and play with iPhoto again... it's a partial screenshot.
    Press Shift-Cmnd-4 and your cursor turns into a little + symbol. Click and drag a rectangle over the window or whatever, and when you release the click, it takes the shot.
    (Press Shift-Cmnd-3 for the whole screen, as I guess you know.)

8. Peter A thread starter macrumors newbie

Well well, this is bizarre! If I open slideshow settings from the 'create a new slideshow' button... that is, between Edit-Book and Print-Email ... I get the window *without* the save option.
    If however I use 'display a slideshow', the little 'play' arrow beside the 'new album' as you suggested, I get the same window as you guys.

I just knew it would be a newbie thing *grin* thanks, good people...

Attached Files:

9. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

Thanks for the tips on pulling up a partial screenshot.
    That's what I love about these forums - learn something new every day (or in my case, multiple times per day)!
    I'm glad that you were able to figure out where to change your presets - as you mentioned, VERY odd that the setting is in one place & not the other.

Happy iPhoto-ing!