iphoto slows down the computer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PBG4, May 26, 2005.

1. PBG4 macrumors member

May 19, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    everytime when i open i-photo, it will froze up my computer for a good 30sec to 1 minute... man, i thought my new powerbook is fast....
    1.67 G4 512ram...
    the only way to solve this is to upgrad ram?
    i think the reason is everytime iphoto opens, it opens the libarly, and not to mention i have over 10,000 of photos, and i cannot find the setup to NOT open in libarary, it will probebly be faster if it doesnt load the libarary at the beginning
  2. PBG4 thread starter macrumors member

May 19, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    oh, and also, when i open the activity monitor, it says iphoto(not responding), and that is when the computer will froze up,,, it comes and go, specially when i was switching application between safari and iphoto.
  3. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Which version of iPhoto do you have? The newest version can manage more photos. Have you tried closing the rolls you don't want to see all the time? This can also help. You might also try displaying pictures without drop shadows.

Does your whole system freeze up when iPhoto is loading? I usually just do something else while I wait for a slow app to load.

Do you have a lot of other apps open when you open iPhoto? If so, then perhaps more RAM will help. 512 should be plenty if you're only running iPhoto and 1 or 2 other apps.
  4. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    for me iphoto (ilife 04, came with panther, don't know exact version) noticably slows down when i load/work with photos from my 7 megapix camera. the 4 or 5 megapix are fine, but as soon as it hits the 7 megapix it slows down by a factor of 4 or so.
    maybe iphoto is optimized for the most common formats.

are your pics 7 megapix or even more?

5. PBG4 thread starter macrumors member

May 19, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    my iphoto are from tiger, i think its 5.0.2?
    and most of my pictures are either 3 mega, or 5 mega.
    so i guess bigger ram is the only way to go huh.
  6. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Go have a look through the Apple support boards (discussions.info.apple.com)
    on the iPhoto one. There was someone there in the last day or so who said they'd fixed iPhoto's speed issues (or some of them) by using some bizarre combination of checking they'd used all of the other iApps etc

Did you try wordmunger's suggestions of removing the drop shadows and 'closing' rolls? That can make a big difference to the opening time.

On the other hand, more RAM will never hurt and will come in handy on everything else too. Good time to buy just now too.
  7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Um.....don't know how to help you, buddy, but try these steps:

1. Go into iPhoto Preferences and under APPEARANCE, make sure "Drop Shadow" and "Outline" are not used.

2. In iPHoto Preferences, go into SHARING and don't share photos.

3. When you're in the main organizer screen with all your thumbnails, try to fit many thumbnails on each row, say more than 7 photos per row. Don't try to fit 3 photos per row.

I guess that's it. Sorry.
  8. john1123 macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2005
    Down Under