Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Perceptes

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2003
San Diego, CA
I noticed that after I launch iPhoto, my system becomes incredibly sluggish, even after I quit the app. The system remains in this slowed down state until I restart. I don't think this was always the case... Anyone else have this problem? Is there some sort of background task iPhoto starts that it is somehow failing to kill on exit? Did I install something that conflicts with it and causes this to happen? I'm running 10.2.5 on a G4/466.

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
Re: iPhoto Slows My System

Originally posted by Perceptes
I noticed that after I launch iPhoto, my system becomes incredibly sluggish, even after I quit the app. The system remains in this slowed down state until I restart. I don't think this was always the case... Anyone else have this problem? Is there some sort of background task iPhoto starts that it is somehow failing to kill on exit? Did I install something that conflicts with it and causes this to happen? I'm running 10.2.5 on a G4/466.

Which Version of iPhoto do you have?
Have you repaired your permissions lately?

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
In my experience, both iPhoto 1.1 and 2.0 slowed my system to a crawl even with 768MB of RAM. But that was only when it was open. Maybe look for odd processes in the Process Viewer? Or switch to something better (if you can afford to) like iView Media Pro.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
well this is becuase iPhoto is a huge RAM hogger, it eats up over 100MB of your RAM, and i can't imagine people with thousands of pics, but i have over 500 on dual 1.25 and it can get slow with 1GB of ram

tyler

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
Have you tried using iPhoto Diet?
I have around a thousand photos with 512MB RAM, and when I downloaded iPhoto Diet,
It sped iPhoto up a little!!
You can get from version tracker.

Perceptes

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2003
San Diego, CA
Hmm... I read the description of iPhoto Diet. It doesn't seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. So the number of photos in your library increases the sluggishness of the app? I have about 1000 photos, I think. I was actually planning to burn some to CD anyway, so perhaps this will help with the speed issue as well as save some disk space. Thanks for your replies, everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.