Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mannyo1221

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
Blandford, UK.
I only use Events in iPhoto, whilst it took me a while with renaming and dragging and dropping I have years worth of pictures organised into events such as Holiday 2009, Johnnys Wedding etc. I don't go anywhere near albums at all, apart from using smart albums to identify RAW pictures.

I see events as just that, an Event in your life.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I only use Events in iPhoto, whilst it took me a while with renaming and dragging and dropping I have years worth of pictures organised into events such as Holiday 2009, Johnnys Wedding etc. I don't go anywhere near albums at all, apart from using smart albums to identify RAW pictures.

I see events as just that, an Event in your life.

How do you handle groups of photos that don't belong in a single Event. Say, if you want a group of photos of your dog - and your dog went to Johnny's wedding, and went on holiday with you in 2009, and was at the past 3 christmas parties?

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
I recommend the book "iPhoto - The Missing Manual" for a good explanation of how to do stuff in iPhoto.

Thanks, Ive just purchased the Kindle version and Im looking forward to reading it. I see they do them for iMovie & Mountain Lion also :)

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
How do you handle groups of photos that don't belong in a single Event. Say, if you want a group of photos of your dog - and your dog went to Johnny's wedding, and went on holiday with you in 2009, and was at the past 3 christmas parties?

There are 2 easy ways: 1) give each image a keyword; 2) (which is what I do) create an event called "Dog" (or whatever) and drag any dog photos to that event.

DarrenUK

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Southampton, UK
I recommend the book "iPhoto - The Missing Manual" for a good explanation of how to do stuff in iPhoto. I readily before committing to storing everything in iPhoto.

I too want to read this book to help me along the way, I've just gone to look in ibooks (UK) on iPad but unfortunately it isn't there to buy. Any idea where I can get a digital copy?

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
There are 2 easy ways: 1) give each image a keyword; 2) (which is what I do) create an event called "Dog" (or whatever) and drag any dog photos to that event.

Yes. So - if the Dog photo is in the Dog Event, then you don't see it in the Holiday 2009 Event or the Wedding Event. Using Folders instead of Events as your main organizing strategy allows the Photo of Fido to be in as many Folders as you want. But a photo can only appear in one Event.

If you have Keywords set, then you might as well use Smart Albums, eh?

Obviously your Event focussed system works for you.... but I do believe you are not getting the full benefit of what iPhoto can do for you.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
I too want to read this book to help me along the way, I've just gone to look in ibooks (UK) on iPad but unfortunately it isn't there to buy. Any idea where I can get a digital copy?

I bought mine today from Amazon.co.uk for £12. See here

I had to download the Kindle app (free from Mac App Store) for my MacBook obviously for it to work, I also downloaded the Kindle app for my iPhone5, so now I have the book on both devices.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_mac_mkt_lnd?docId=1000423923

Last edited:

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
snberk103, Ive been trying out some of the advice you have kindly given me recently. Can I run this past you to see if you think im doing it correctly please?:)

Today I went for a walk in the countryside with my dogs. I took my DSLR and snapped 400+ photos!! :eek:

On returning home I imported the images via the memory card and a single Event was created. I went through this Event and deleted all the unwanted photos, leaving me with 60 keepers.

I then gave all the photos in this Event the keywords of 'Walks' & 'Dogs'.

I also gave a third Keyword of 'Waterfall' to relevant images.

Now, if ever I want to create an Album containing my best photos of my dogs, all I have to do is create that Album and title it acordingy. Then, I can make a Smart Album that contains all photos with the Keyword 'Dogs'. I can then select the photos I like and drag them into my Album. Then delete my Smart Album.

I can then create Folders to store multiple Albums in.

Sound about right? Feel free to criticise or suggest better ways.
Thanks
Steve.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
snberk103, Ive been trying out some of the advice you have kindly given me recently. Can I run this past you to see if you think im doing it correctly please?:)

Today I went for a walk in the countryside with my dogs. I took my DSLR and snapped 400+ photos!! :eek:

On returning home I imported the images via the memory card and a single Event was created. I went through this Event and deleted all the unwanted photos, leaving me with 60 keepers.

I then gave all the photos in this Event the keywords of 'Walks' & 'Dogs'.

I also gave a third Keyword of 'Waterfall' to relevant images.

Now, if ever I want to create an Album containing my best photos of my dogs, all I have to do is create that Album and title it acordingy. Then, I can make a Smart Album that contains all photos with the Keyword 'Dogs'. I can then select the photos I like and drag them into my Album. Then delete my Smart Album.

I can then create Folders to store multiple Albums in.

Sound about right? Feel free to criticise or suggest better ways.
Thanks
Steve.

First... I am a little jealous ... a walk on New Year's Day, by a waterfall. That must be a good omen. :)

Second. Yes, that is one way to do it, and it works well. If I made a suggestion about the Smart Album approach, I would probably just call it something like Temporary - and then edit the search criteria for each use. Saves the Create/Delete step.

There is also a way to do a search on Keywords. But it can be a bit fussy until you get the hang of it.

Click on the magnifying glass, bottom left corner when you have your Events selected. Notice the little triangle that then appears next to the glass in the search field? Click that and then the word Keywords. You should now see all your keywords. You can click on the ones you want to search on.... which means you can combine terms. For example "Waterfall" AND "Dog" to show only those photos that have both. Why it is a bit fussy is simply because it will only search the Event you are currently in, while a Smart Album by default searches all of your photos. (Though you can add terms to have a Smart Album only search a particular Album or Event, or the last few Events).

Try using both ways for a while, and see what you prefer.

Last edited:

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
First... I am a little ... a walk on New Year's Day, by a waterfall. That must be a good omen. :)

Ha ha, it was more like a trickle of a stream:eek:

Second. Yes, that is one way to do it, and it works well. If I made a suggestion about the Smart Album approach, I would probably just call it something like Temporary - and then edit the search criteria for each use. Saves the Create/Delete step.

Great tip, Ive just tried that
icon_bow.gif

Click on the magnifying glass, bottom left corner when you have your Events selected. Notice the little triangle that then appears next to the glass ....

Wow, I hadnt even noticed the magnifying glass. That certainly speeds things up :)

Thanks for your reply, I shall certainly try both ways.

Your the man
icon_thumbs.gif

Last edited:

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Dempster Highway, looks idyllic..

canada.jpg

Theres a pint waiting for you upon your arrival in the UK, though most tourists dont get much further than London, Im in Sheffield right next to Derbyshire, lovely countryside but not a patch on Canada im sure!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.