iPhoto..that great?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Camille, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Camille macrumors regular

Jun 15, 2005
    I just wanted to ask yall if you really think it's that fun to seat in front of your computer and look at your photos instead of looking at paper, you know, like the old days...

Don't you think the quality of the digital cameras arn't that great? (I'm using a 3 M pixel camera...).
    And how many pixels do you have?
  2. croshtique macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2005
    Cambridge, UK
    One thread is enough!

And you can always print your photos - that's what the conveniently placed "order prints" button in iPhoto is for ;)
  3. howesey macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2005
    Are digital cameras there yet... Almost I would say. They have fantastic resolution and low noise (or grain if you want to call it that), buy dynamic range isn't there. It's very easy to get blown out highlights, even using a camera such as Fuji S3 Pro which has very good dynamic range. You have to weigh it all out.

The only thing I do not like about iPhoto is it's lack of supporting RAW files well. iPhoto I find with Canon RAW and Nikon NEF files cannot read the meta data correctly such as white balance set by the camera. Very very annoying and makes iPhoto useless.
  4. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I smell a troll...

I look and use them more often now that they're digital and on my computer than I do at the old pre-digital pics that are sitting in my attic.

iPhoto books are great instead of bulky photo albums and look fabulous. Prints can also be done quickly from home printers or by sending them away.

As for quality, I take better pics now with my digital (old 3mp or new 6mp) than I did with film. I can check my composition immediately, make sure the colours and focus are correct, reshoot multiple times and keep the best ones without having to pay out for lots of developing - and of course, retouch them if I feel I need to.
  5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    This seems to belong in the Digital Photography forum, not Mac OS X.

Anyway, I greatly prefer taking digital photos and managing them on a computer. It's easy to get prints of photos when I want to, but I don't have to deal with physical photo albums and shoeboxes and film, etc. My digital camera is a 5 megapixel camera, and the picture quality is not as good as film, but they look fine.
  6. Camille thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 15, 2005
  7. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I was more on an indifference tip, personally..
  8. howesey macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2005
    Doesn't mean much really. A 6MP camera may be better than a 9MP one. There are other facttors to take in than jusr resolution.
  9. MacVault macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2002
    Planet Earth
    Oh yea! Digital photos is the way to go! The cameras now days are very good. And I just today received my very first Photo book ordered out of iPhoto - I am just amazed at the print quality - even a couple photos I scanned in on my Fujitsu ScanSnap sheet fed scanner. Before I created and uploaded the book, however, I edited the plist file that sets the resolution that the book/photos are printed at. I changed it from 150dpi to 600dpi. This made the file about 140MB instead of about 15MB, but I'm very impressed with the print quality!!! Yes - digital photos is where it's at!
  10. amin macrumors 6502a

Aug 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I agree with most here. Digital is the way to go for almost everybody. The results of digital and film are comparable for most shots at most common print sizes. In the end, digital is cheaper and more convenient. I don't think I'd even bother to take photos 90% of the time that I do if I had to develop the film every time.

As far as sitting in front of the computer, I still print all my best shots. For family memories, I enjoy making books with iPhoto - not high quality photo prints, but good enough and nicely presented.
  11. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    II like digital more than print actually.

No worries about thumbprints.

Then again, I'm a product of the recent century.. I'm such a techie.

*shrug* to each his own.
  12. rasp macrumors regular

Jan 13, 2005
    Easthampton, MA
    There are a few cases where a photographer would use film over digital, but I think you'd be surprised at all the photographers using digital. Good enough for the likes of National Geographic and Sports Illustrated.

I have no interest, personally, in using film, digital is so much easier to deal with in workflow, with such great tools available as Photoshop.

Edit: oops... forgot the original question, iPhoto, it's allright, I'm on the fence about it.