Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayyymeee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2007
i recently cleaned up and organized my 2000+ photos on my macbook. i had everything in iphoto but exporting them was giving me problems since they were so disorganized by roll numbers and such. in the library folder i went through and renamed and organized all of the photos. i now have a problem where i go into iphoto, and if i make the thumbnail scale large i see only blank white boxes. if i move the scroll down and make the thumbnails small, all of my photos are there. however if i double click to view any of them or open them in edit i get a grey box with a ! in it. i read in iphoto help that it said moving and renaming things in the library can cause these problems, but it seemed that because i still had all of the photos on my computer i could fix it. i did what it said and tried dragging the files to the iphoto app on the dock, but it just says the file is unreadable. why is this happening? what should i try next?
thanks in advance for any advice.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
1) You probably need to rebuild your library

2) IF you reorganised your WHOLE iphoto library in FINDER...you are pretty much stuffed. I've said this about 5 times in the past day or 2 but NEVER TOUCH THE iPHOTO LIBRARY IN FINDER!!

If you were organising it from within iPhoto then just rebuild the library and you should be ok. :)

jayyymeee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2007
ok, but i dont get it. if the files are still all on my computer, why cant i import them back into the application? i did (make the mistake i guess) of doing it through finder.

mrjonathanquinn

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009
need help with iphotos please

i could really use some help - i am trying to upload my iphoto book to apple to get it printed and everytime i try, it stops at page 19 - the computer freezes - and nothing. I have 42 pages in the book. this is my first time using iphotos, but it seems fairly straight forward....i need to get it done ASAP as it is my dad's b-day soon - any ideas/advice? I appreciate any tips anyone could give me - thanks v much:confused:

challiman

macrumors member
May 7, 2009
Bookmarking this as I'm also starting a book. Haven't gotten to where you are yet, though.
But, when you started were you given a choice of how many pages you wanted? If so, maybe you've reached the limit. I don't think they would set it up that way, but it could be.
Good luck.

igli13

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2011
iphoto troubleshooting

i recently cleaned up and organized my 2000+ photos on my macbook. i had everything in iphoto but exporting them was giving me problems since they were so disorganized by roll numbers and such. in the library folder i went through and renamed and organized all of the photos. i now have a problem where i go into iphoto, and if i make the thumbnail scale large i see only blank white boxes. if i move the scroll down and make the thumbnails small, all of my photos are there. however if i double click to view any of them or open them in edit i get a grey box with a ! in it. i read in iphoto help that it said moving and renaming things in the library can cause these problems, but it seemed that because i still had all of the photos on my computer i could fix it. i did what it said and tried dragging the files to the iphoto app on the dock, but it just says the file is unreadable. why is this happening? what should i try next?
thanks in advance for any advice.

This happen to me recently. I went to files, select original files, and import them again to the library. Once I was sure they could be seen, then I deleted the old file in iphoto. I did this with my 5000 pictures and 118 files on the iphoto library. It took me several days but it was worth it. Never again I will even touch pictures in the finder!!! Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.