iPhoto v1.1?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, Apr 30, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

StuK writes that MacNN is reporting on an upcoming update for iPhoto...

The new version claims to provide "enhanced editing, improved organizing and
    new ways to share your photos including the ability to include photos in
    Email, set your desktop picture and your Screen Saver slideshow."

2. macrumors 6502a

sounds good to me, throw that in the new Power Macs at MWNY

3. macrumors 6502a

robotrenegade

iPhoto

If you don't know how to do that w/out iPhoto now. Then you shouldn't own a mac.

4. macrumors regular

For regular consumers - this is plus - iphoto now has basic features and some very unique.. like the book choice. if true this gives the regular joe more powerful features and then more reason to use this program.

For Power Users / ex. Graphic Designers can't do without Photoshop 7!

5. SPG
    macrumors 65816

SPG

Re: iPhoto

Settle down tough guy, Apple has always been there for the newbies, and the more that the software can offer them the better.

Off topic, has anyone else been getting pop behind ads off MacNN? I've been getting them all the time and i think it's Macnn that's behind it.

6. macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

7. macrumors member

Hmm... change the desktop

iPhoto is written in Cocoa and if I remember correctly, it is currently impossible to change the desktop picture in Cocoa or with AppleScript (although that seems like a logical apple event for the Finder).

I am not 100% sure about the private APIs, but I am sure that the current public Cocoa APIs don't facilitate changing the desktop image.

Why do you care? Because this means two things:

1) That feature will not exist or the software wont be released. This is a bad one, but the next one is much, much better.
    2) Apple will update the Cocoa frameworks. Usually, this happens when they update the OS because that is a way to ensure that most users will update.

In short, unless I am mistaken and if an iPhoto update is released (with that feature), Apple will update the OS before or at the same time as the software.

All of you waiting for the next installment of OS X (be it 10.1.5 or 10.2, which I doubt), your day may come.

- RandomMacGuy (Long time listener, first time caller)

8. macrumors regular

Re: Re: iPhoto

9. macrumors 65816

eric_n_dfw

Re: Hmm... change the desktop

I'm not sure of this, but I doubt this is true - at least for Cocoa apps. I'd believe it for Carbon and (of course) Classic, but Cocoa apps like "Desktop Control" ( http://www.jokke.dk/software/ ) and "Change Desktop" ( http://www.classicalguitar.net/brian/apps/changedesktop/ ) do this already.

In fact, I'm fairly sure you can do it from the command line with the "defaults" command. Something like "defaults write com.apple.Finder BackgroundPictureURL" ... (I don't remember the systax or if that's the right "domain" or not)

These things are kept in the defaults database. It wouldn't make much sense for cocoa app's to not be able to change them. Heck, the Systems Pref's app is a cocoa app!

:)

10. macrumors member

Doh!

While it is impossible from the Cocoa APIs (i.e. there is no changeDesktopTo: method in NSWorkspace or any similar method in any class), it is right there in 'com.apple.desktop'

For my pride, let's say I'm half right. :p

- RandomMacGuy

11. macrumors regular

So MacNN is becoming a Rumor site huh? :) They must really be feeling the heat from macminute. They don't even claim to have industry sources -- it was simply " a reader" ..
    hahah, maybe we're putting too much faith in this rumor :)

12. macrumors 6502a

Geert

Any update of an iApp (and others) is welcome.:)
    That means that they are still adjusting apps and think of they're users.

correction, second:p

13. macrumors regular

iPhoto 1.1 now available - Posted on Wednesday 1st May @ 3:29 am MST
    Apple has released iPhoto 1.1, as noted by MacNN.

The 25 MB archive is available here, though Apple has yet to update the iPhoto web site.

The iPhoto ReadMe states the following key improvements:

• email your photos using Apple Mail
    • adjust brightness and contrast to improve the appearance of your photo
    • retain and display EXIF data (image and camera information about each photo)
    • automatically create an album by dragging a folder of photos into the Photo Library list
    • import directly from a Photo CD or Picture CD
    • import a group of photos as separate film rolls by dragging a folder with subfolders into the photo viewing area
    • set your desktop image from within iPhoto
    • set your screen saver from within iPhoto

(source: spymac)

14. macrumors 6502a

Geert

I downloaded this update, although I do not intend to install it until Apple has updated or released any info.

Where did this update come from?
    I haven't seen anything on the Apple site.

Anybody installed the update yet?
    Any problems?

15. macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Uhm, okay

Actually in a Cocoa (Mach-0 binary) app you can use just about any API you want including Carbon and POSIX (UNIXy stuff). And you can directly use the underlying APIs that Cocoa is built on top of called Core Foundation which performs the XML preferences parsing hoopla which makes 'defaults write com...' work.

Its a very powerful way to make an App, any app, for Mac OS X. You are not strictly segregated between Carbon or Cocoa or POSIX or whatever.

I made a Cocoa-based lil' thing that read and modified the XML preferences of another app using Core Foundation and did other things with Carbon so it is all possible.

16. macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Is this update showing up in the Software Update? I'm not at home so I can't check right now. But you can bet I won't be downloading or installing it until Apple officially announces it!

17. macrumors 68030

britboy

it's not yet showing up on software update. I've downloaded it, but like geert i'm going to wait before installing it. I'd rather let someone else take the risks, my baby doesn't deserve faulty sofware :)

18. macrumors 6502

Xapplimatic

MacNN really screwed this one up. Their link points to the iPhoto page on Apple.com and its download page... BUT the download page only has the 1.0 version on it!! I found version 1.1 posted on Versiontracker by Apple with a list of updates.. Go to VersionTracker..

And yes, I have noticed MacNN has begun to dance with the devil and deploy pop-up ads. Shame on MacNN!

19. macrumors 6502

iPhoto 1.1

so far so good...downloaded and used it...no problem so far :)

20. macrumors newbie

21. macrumors newbie

22. macrumors member

Pulled again

looks like the link everyone has been posting has been pulled. still nothing on Apple's page or software update. strange

23. macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Heheh... surprise surprise... I smell an iTunes fiasco all over again. :D

Not really. I'm sure it's fine, who knows what they're up to. resm, I admire your bravery. I just hope it doesn't wipe your hard drive. ;)

24. macrumors newbie

25. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

No Luck

It ain't workin, if anyone has it please send it to flashgordy12@aol.com I would really be thankful!