iphoto vs adobe 8.0 cs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by doctor pangloss, Jun 18, 2005.

1. doctor pangloss macrumors regular

I'm looking to get some good easy to use photo software.

Photographers pals tell the adobe software rocks. But it's very expensive!

Does anyone have experience with the apple software compared to the adobe?

2. hodgjy macrumors 6502

iPhoto has very limited editing options. It basically just enhances the "development" of the pictures.

If you want to edit your photos, as far as fixing flaws, you'll need a more dedicated editor. Try Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0. It has about 90% of the power of Photoshop CS, but only costs $59 on Amazon.com. Plus, you can try it out for free with a download from Adobe.com.

3. dhracer88 macrumors regular

Doh! Hodgjy beat me. But to restate, iphoto is more of an image organizer/manager than anything else. Photoshop is for editing images beyond the simple adjustments in iphoto. CS2's little brother, PSE3, is great. It's easy to use and does all that I need to do...so far. The only nag I've got against it is the inability to customize keyboard shortcuts, but I'll be upgrading to CS2 in the fall for school, so it's no big deal. If you take really, really bad pictures and want to waste hours trying to salvage them, then CS2 is the best option :p. Seriously, photographers and advertisers who need total control over their images and color need CS2. You have a lot more color space and profile options in PS than Elements. If I were you, I would download a copy of both from adobe's site, and test them out for 30 days. If you're on dialup, start both downloads at 3PM, then by 6AM the next morning, they should be done :D . I did find this great deal on CS1 awhile ago for $80 (media & license only), but it was for windows and probably was a scam...

4. doctor pangloss thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks I just read a good review of the PSE3 and it sounds like all I really need. Also it's much cheaper.
    I'll give the free trial a try!