iPhoto - what happens if I delete Library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BIS2, Apr 20, 2006.

1. BIS2 macrumors regular

I had a few pictures in iPhoto but I want to get rid of them and start the library fresh. I deleted the pictures but in the iPhoto Library the folders remain along with some other docs like "albumdata," "dirdata," "library.iphoto," etc.

Can I just delete all these?

2. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

I wouldn't, but if you did delete, they would probably just come back automatically or with a reinstall. But if they aren't in your library, why do you have to delete these?

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Deleting iPhoto's library should result in the creation of a fresh version next time you start iPhoto back up. Everything in the iPhoto library will obviously be deleted though.

As a rule of thumb, it's generally best to operate through iPhoto instead of through Finder. I'd go to iPhoto, select everything in the library and press DELETE if you want to start afresh. If need be, then do the same to the albums on the sidebar. :)

4. BIS2 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks....

OK so I deleted the Library completely and when I opened it again it said it was missing and gave me the option to find it or make a new one. All set - thanks!

5. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

i wish i could fix my iphoto that easily :( mine still doesnt work. i bought iphoto 5 to replace iphoto 5 but it still doesnt correct the problem the problem is that the photos will import into iphoto but they remain in thumbnail only. you cant open them in the big window or edit them or anything. im so frustrated no on e can figure out how to fix it.

im going to reinstall tiger but i dont know if that will do anythign or not.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That seems a bit drastic. Why not just reinstall iPhoto? Drag everything with iPhoto in the name to the Trash, empty, and reinstall. :)

7. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

i did that mad jew but nothing changes, no matter how many times i reinstall the fact remains that i have lost the ability to edit photos in iphoto. it will do everything else but will not edit no matter how much i play around with it. :(