iphoto woes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ry4n, Apr 19, 2005.

1. ry4n macrumors newbie

i swtiched a few weeks ago now.. but iphoto just wont coperate.. i can't add anything to my library..

it says:

unable to add file to library (may be unrevognized filetypes or may not contain valid data)

it's a plain old jpeg straight from a camera.. opens fine in preview and i've resaved a couple like suggested but with no luck.. also repaired permissions..

they make this switching thing sound like a cakewalk, doesn't seem so to me, and i like to think i know a good bit about computers.. i hate to be in the boat of a person who doesn't..

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

have you tried to import the photo's into iPhoto ? your cam might be trying to export native pics that the ipod can not understand

then from iphoto export them to the pod - tell us what cam you have btw

3. iGary Guest

iGary

OK, first your problem.

Try downloading the CF Card to your desktop, and then drag it to iPhoto.

Second, I've been extremely unhappy with iPhoto 5. It's slow, buggy, inconsistent and it won't shut down without force on my iMac G5. Extensis Portfolio here I come.

Good luck, though. :D

4. ry4n thread starter macrumors newbie

don't think ya'll understand..

the photos are in a folder on my harddrive, that i moved from my windows box (which they worked flawlessly on by the way)

they are normal jpegs out of the camera.. nothing unredable or weird abou it.. they aren't on a card i only have them saved on my harddrive.. and liketom- where in the world did you get anything about an ipod..

so far i'm not impressed the the ease or multimedia skills of apple software.. switchin ain't as easy as they'd like you to think..

so nobody knows what to do with this?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's a bit of a brain teaser ry4n and most of us (if not all) haven't encountered anything like it before so maybe post a little more info, even if you don't think it's necessary and hopefully it'll jolt someone's memory.

What sort of camera? How did you transfer the files? Are they on the internal hard drive or an external that's used on both the Mac and the Windows machines? Did you export them from the Windows machine or did you just drag them across from Explorer? I know heaps of this will be unnecessary but it still might help.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

Something may have gone wrong with the transfer that corrupted the JPEGS from your Windows machine. I used to have terrible recognition problems with JPEGS on two different Windows machines, so it may be hasty to point the finger at Apple.

Can you attach one of the images so I can have a look at it on my machine?

I might be able to help.

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I didn't have any problems moving my pics from my PC to my Mac.

How are you trying to do it? There are two possible options. Are you Importing through the menu by selecting a folder? (if you're doing this, do it folder by folder otherwise all your pics end up in a single 'roll' which can make navigating tricky)

Or are you selecting all the pics in a folder (in the Finder) and dragging them onto the open iPhoto icon on the Dock?

Both should work though. Only thing I can think of (since this has happened to me with a few 'odd' pics) is to check in the Finder/ Get Info that those image folders aren't read only. If you moved them by burning onto a CD or mailing them, they may be which would explain opening them in Preview but not moving them into iPhoto.

8. ry4n thread starter macrumors newbie

camera: canon powershot a85
    transferred via usb from the camera (dragged straight from DCIM folder)..
    transferred form the pc to mac over ftp..
    they are on the internal ibook drive..

as far as them being corrupted.. they open fine in preview.. and in photoshop.. all on the mac.. just problems with iphoto..

i've tried adding whole folders, all files in folders, single files, single files that i resaved on the mac.. nothing works..

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Weird, you might have to reinstall iPhoto or something. Or maybe just delete the prefs? But before you do anything too drastic, take iGary's advice and post an example so we can check to see if it works in our copies of iPhoto.

10. ry4n thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm at work right now but i'll post an image when i get back to the apartment tonite.. thanks everyone..

11. ry4n thread starter macrumors newbie

12. sahnert macrumors 6502

photo imported fine for me.
    Have you repaired permissions (Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility)?

13. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Just a note to say that my friend is having this same problem with his new Powerbook, with a factory install of iLife '05. I haven't had a chance to look into it yet.

Lee Tom

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Worked fine for my iPhoto too... :(

Have you been able to import *any* pictures into your iPhoto? I mean like go on the web and grab some random JPG and import it?

15. ry4n thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i've repaired permissions..

i can also add random jpges from teh web but none from my other computer.. this is weird..