Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlmightyG5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
I've benn trying forever to get this to work. I have an HP 1600 All-in-one printer that works fine. I get a photo in iPhoto, and click print. I select under advanced: Borderless, zoom 100%, 4x6 photo paper, no tabs. then i click preview and there is 1/4 inch of white space on the top, bottom and sides. This has to be a problem with iPhoto because I can use the HP print app. to print a 4x6 fine, borderless and it takes up all the paper, how come iPhoto dosn't do this?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It's probably because iPhoto is preserving the whole scene where the other print utility is cropping the photo, lopping off the top and bottom, since the paper does not match the aspect ratio of most digital cameras.

Patrick Bateman

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2003
The funny thing is my Canon PowerShot SD300 has pictbridge and prints directly to the printer for a perfect 4x6 borderless print that has everything in it I took a picture of. No cropping/no border.

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
Patrick Bateman said:
The funny thing is my Canon PowerShot SD300 has pictbridge and prints directly to the printer for a perfect 4x6 borderless print that has everything in it I took a picture of. No cropping/no border.

No cropping whatsoever? If the camera is putting out 4:3 images, then there must be some "squeezing" to get that pic on a 6x4 print without cropping.

But I have to say I'm stumped wrt the OP.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Is the printer shared? Connected vcia Airport express or some other non-direct method?

I too had the very same issues, as my printer was shared over an airport net. Once I direct connected, rebooted and adjusted page set up, all worked fine.

Of course, you do have to constrain to 4x6 in iPhoto since most digital cams shoot in a more square aspect ration that your print size. But for whatever reason, when plugged into a hub, APEx, or shared it bugs out and prints a white border.

Good luck.
AlmightyG5 said:
I've benn trying forever to get this to work. I have an HP 1600 All-in-one printer that works fine. I get a photo in iPhoto, and click print. I select under advanced: Borderless, zoom 100%, 4x6 photo paper, no tabs. then i click preview and there is 1/4 inch of white space on the top, bottom and sides. This has to be a problem with iPhoto because I can use the HP print app. to print a 4x6 fine, borderless and it takes up all the paper, how come iPhoto dosn't do this?

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
I have the same problem with the canon iP4000. I can't even find a place to choose paper size in iPhoto. Where is that?

jaysmith

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2005
welll....

take the bordered image, grab the nearest scissors, and create you own "borderless" version

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
Here is the answer....

Go into iPhoto...click on your photo you want to print...go to the constrain menu in the bottom left...go to 4x6 (postcard). Adjust it up and down to where you want it, then click Crop. Now...go to page setup...select your printer in "Format for.." then highlight 4x6(borderless) in the Paper size...click up. Now go back to iPhoto, highlight the photo you cropped earlier, click print in the iphoto window...then highlight the correct printer, correct quality you want, and make sure "FULL PAGE" is selected...click print...it will work...Let me know!!! Seacreast OUT.

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
I don't think this is just iPhoto. The only way I can get borderless from my R300 is to plug a memory stick directly into the printer. I've tried everything including what macpro2000 said. No go.

I think that when the print dialogue says "(borderless)" what it really means to say is "(this would be borderless were it not for the giant white border)."

I gave up on it and just drag things to a memory stick and plug it directly into the printer if I want to print pictures. Pisses me off, but I'm done trying to get it to work the way it should.

If the $200 printer can figure it out and just work, I think a computer at 10 times the price should manage it as well. Call me picky. :)

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
macpro2000 said:
Go into iPhoto...click on your photo you want to print...go to the constrain menu in the bottom left...go to 4x6 (postcard). Adjust it up and down to where you want it, then click Crop. Now...go to page setup...select your printer in "Format for.." then highlight 4x6(borderless) in the Paper size...click up. Now go back to iPhoto, highlight the photo you cropped earlier, click print in the iphoto window...then highlight the correct printer, correct quality you want, and make sure "FULL PAGE" is selected...click print...it will work...Let me know!!! Seacreast OUT.
Just letting anyone know that cares that this method worked for me when trying to get a borderless print on my dad's R300. Admittedly I didn't use iPhoto for this (used Photshop) but it didn't work (in photoshop) until I did these steps so it should work for iPhoto too.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
they need to fix this because i too am having problems.... and its very annoying.... You would think that you could just click a one or too things and iphoto and your printer drivers will do the rest....

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
macpro2000 said:
Go into iPhoto...click on your photo you want to print [...] click print...it will work...
This is what I do, and it's always worked fine with my Canon printers.

It's perhaps not quite as intuitive as you'd like, but iPhoto can't control the fact that cameras don't take 4x6 ratio pictures, and it also can't tell what kind of paper you're using until you set it in the Page Setup dialogue. You only really need to do that second part once, though.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
Also, if you have an upper end camera, in some you can change the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 3:2, hence 6:4, therefore you don't have to crop anything in iphoto after that, you just print what you took a photo of exactly. I have an 8 MP Olympus and discovered it had that capability and haven't ever gone back to the 4:3, just makes it much easier. To see if your camera is capable of this, go to dpreview.com and look up its specs. It's the master site for digital cams.

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
macpro2000 said:
Also, if you have an upper end camera, in some you can change the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 3:2, hence 6:4, therefore you don't have to crop anything in iphoto after that, you just print what you took a photo of exactly. I have an 8 MP Olympus and discovered it had that capability and haven't ever gone back to the 4:3, just makes it much easier. To see if your camera is capable of this, go to dpreview.com and look up its specs. It's the master site for digital cams.

You must still lose some photo area. All it does is chop off the top and bottom of the 4:3 frame to give 3:2. You're really better off taking full-frame pics and then cropping later - at least you have more options for the crop that way. Though I can understand the "hassle" factor if you're processing lots of snaps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.