iPhoto

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bigboy99, Mar 27, 2006.

1. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

Finder indicates approximently 2 GB more files in IPhoto than in my root pictures folder. I've hardly used the app except for viewing. Ideas?

2. croshtique macrumors 6502

Use an app like [WhatSize to figure out where the 2GB is. It might well be the iPod Photo cache if you've got one.

3. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

It was Whatsize that alerted me to the situation. I don't use an Ipod. These are years of images, and I dread the prospect of having to cull out the dupes, if that is the issue.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you modify a photo, iPhoto creates a new file rather than directly modifying the original. It does this so you can easily revert to the original if need be.

So, if you modify every single one of your photos, you'll double the size of the library in Finder, no matter how small the changes may be. iPhoto only adds up the size of the visible photos, not the originals, and hence the discrepancy.

So then, have you modified many images? :)

5. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

noooooooooo.........

not IPhoto! iPhoto!!!! do not capItalIze the I! It Is sImply redIculus... apple names It's products very delIberately, and you are crushIng It!! oh, and "iphoto" also works, just in case you are lazy.

6. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

i hate iPhoto

it runs like crap on my dual 2.5 G5 with 2GB of ram

i only have 3,000 photos too....

ughhhh

7. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Fair enough. So, have you modified the photos, even slightly? :)

9. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

calm down...he's not doing it on purpose

10. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, but I doubt 2 GB worth. If I change the location of my iPhoto files, and then ask the app to build a new library/data file from my image archives will the result be an exact copy with the same total size, or am I asking for big trouble by moving these files?

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's not quite the same as iTunes in this sense. I guess it should work but I can't guaranty it and I wouldn't really recommend it. :eek:

Are you sure you haven't run an Automator task or something that'll have quickly made a modification to the majority (if not all) your photos. I agree that 2GB sounds like a lot though. How large is the library as a whole?

The discrepancy for me is 750MB versus 630MB and I barely modify my pictures at all. Some of this is made up from data files (negligible) and thumbnails but the majority is a result of red eye fixes, cropping and small colour changes.

12. GITANAJAVA macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

Gee, virusOne!

Imagine, travelling all this way and your only contribution is a style and spelling lesson. People living in glass houses should not throw stones, amigo. :p

Mad Jew, as I was reading this thread, your comment helped me realise (finally) why my iPhoto files threaten to take over the planet. It must be all that editing I do. Thanks, again!

13. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

4GB in the archive, 6GB in iPhoto. I use CS for all serious manipulation, so I must somehow be experiencing a major duplication of files. I've tried to rebuild the iPhoto library before, but alway come up with errors.

It's a no way there, and no way back sorta deal. Is there any software that will identify dupes?

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

15. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Also check out iPhoto Buddy. It won't help with duplicates but will let you have multiple iPhoto libraries. Keeping your library trim should help with any performance issues.

iPhoto 6 runs peachy on my lowly 1GHz PB with 1GB of ram...

16. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

And on my 1GHz iMac with a mere 768MB RAM