iPhoto'05 with 500mhz G3 iBook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ftaok, Jan 24, 2005.

1. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Sorry if this has been mentioned before in another thread. I've done a search and there are only a few mentions of iPhoto with G3's.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has installed iPhoto'05 on a G3 and what their impressions were. I'm considering upgrading from iPhoto 2 to '05 and I wanted to see if it would be worth it.

My iBook has a 500mhz G3 (with the 66mhz system bus), but I've upgraded to a 40GB 5400RPM hard drive. Also have 640MB of RAM. My iPhoto library has about 3000 photos.

Thanks!

EDIT - added info about RAM

2. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

I would be able to answer your question if it wasn't for the fact that I overlooked the software requirements to run iPhoto 05--namely OS 10.3.4. My iBook is my second computer (see sig) and I have never upgraded from 10.2. I was really hoping to see what the enhancements in performance would do and be able to share from my iMac, but I'm not going to upgrade to 10.3 now, especially with Tiger just around the corner.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I've had iPhoto on a G3 iMac 500 Mhz, it's usable but quite slow...you only get 2 adjustment sliders, and the transitions don't work in slideshow.

4. ftaok thread starter macrumors 601

ftaok

CRAP!!!

I have not upgraded to 10.3 either. I'm running 10.2.8 because it has been working wonderfully. Why mess with success.

I guess I'll have to wait until Tiger comes out to get iLife'05. Maybe they'll have special bundles with Tiger and iLife. I suggest a price of $150 for the pair :D

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I saw somewhere that iPhoto 5 runs slower on older G4s, so I imagine it's even worse on a G3. OTOH, I was running iPhoto 4 on a 233 MHz iBook, and it was the fastest version yet. I wonder if you could get iPhoto 4 somewhere. Maybe someone who's upgraded to 5 would be willing to sell their old software to you.

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

iPhoto 4 worked wonderfully on my 500Mhz iBook. I haven't tried iPhoto 5 yet, so I can't speak to that, but the difference between 4 and its predecessors was amazing, especially on something as slow as an iBook. A world of difference.

7. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

I had a friend who had a TiBook with 400 Mhz and 384 MB RAM. He couldn't tell the difference between '04 and '05 as far as speed was concerned.

8. ftaok thread starter macrumors 601

ftaok

OK, so the mini consensus is that iPhoto'04 would be a good upgrade from iPhoto2 for my iBook. Since I have no intention of upgrading to Panther, I guess this would be a good stopgap.

Maybe I can find iLife'04 for a discounted price and then use the "Up-To-Date" program to get iLife'05 for $20. Hey, it might just be cheaper than getting iLife'05 straight up.