iPhoto5 - Red Eye working for you?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sigamy, Jan 25, 2005.

1. sigamy macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2003
    NJ USA
    I never had a problem with iPhoto4's red eye reduction. It worked around 90% of the the time for me.

iPhoto5's red eye is terrible. I like the new approach--just click on the eye--but it just doesn't work. Some eyes are left unchanged, some times it changes part of the eye, some times it bleeds into the eyelid. And when it does make a change the results look fake, just a blob of color throw over the eye--very, very bad.

I've tried zooming into the images to ensure that I'm just click on the center of the eye. It just doesn't work.

The only interesting thing is that the images I'm using are from a friend's cam--a Canon S410 4mp. I have an Olympus D-3000 3.3mp but I forgot it one day and borrowed the S410. Could the different cams have anything to do with it?

At this point I can't see how Apple could not have come across these same issues. I don't think the new red eye has worked on even on picture of mine.

How is it for you all?

I hope patches are on the way soon.
  2. David Lundgren macrumors member

Nov 26, 2003
    Albany, NY
    So far it's worked for me on maybe ten photos I tried it on, though it missed on one, but that one is just out of focus enough that I can understand it might have a problem.

All taken on two different Sony digitals, high resolution. One particular photo of three of my nieces at a wedding was useless since all three of them had bright red eyes, and iPhoto fixed them perfectly. I had meant to get around to doing something about them in another program, now I don't have to. So far, so good here.
  3. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
    Red eye's been okay for me. I went back against some old party pictures and it took them out for the most part. There were definitely one or two in a crop of about 20, which missed the edges or gave me the dreaded super-contrasty retina effect...but then again for me iPhoto 4 wasn't that much better about redeye in the first place...if worst comes to worst, I just revert the picture back to original and go with photoshop cs--super easy if you know how to use it and you can even change eye color if you feel like it ;)
  4. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Sep 7, 2004
    Salt Lake
    It's not my favorite improvement either, I love the new format and slideshow, but the "red-eye" has taken a dive... like you in iPhoto 4 worked almost all the time but the pictures of my nephew at disneyland just can't come in straight... I hope they improve the red-eye in 5.1!
  5. visor macrumors 6502

May 13, 2003
    in bed
    yepp, got the same problem most of the time. It was great in 4, but somehow they seemed to apply a standard eye size that just doenst fit any eye i've photographed yet.

Aw - not true, the rabbit my sister has for holyday hosting worked ok... don't really know if that is a good sign, though...