iPico

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by blakespot, Apr 30, 2002.

1. blakespot Administrator

blakespot

First there was the Mac IIvi, then there's all these eMacs. I predict the next Mac will be the iPico!

blakespot

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: iPico

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a Pico, there wasn't a link....

3. tortus macrumors member

Pico is...

Pico is a text editing application commonly found on Unix and Linux based operating systems. It is easier to than vi, which takes a little bit of learning and practice to get used to.

4. tortus macrumors member

The humor of it all

vi
    emacs
    pico

are all text editing/manipulating applications.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: The humor of it all

oh yes, I'm really familliar with vi and emacs, did all my c and c++ coding on sun workstations with those babies. I haven't been doing any coding in 3 years or so or been working on suns, so I'm a little out of the loop there.

So blakespot, you think apple is going to come up with another iApp the will be a text editing package? Interesting. What would it allow that isn't already available? Or are you just playing around....:D

6. blakespot thread starter Administrator

blakespot

I am just playing around, but my point was that the next Mac would be called the iPico. Maybe the iTeX. It's a conspiracy.

blakespot

7. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Wouldn't iPico be a step backwards. vi to emacs to...uh...pico.

De-evolution.

Taft

8. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

LOL! Seems like us CS people have it out for pico-- I always try to spread the good word of vi whenever I can. Pico is very underpowered compared to vi/ex, or the beast known as emacs. I would not cherish the thought of an Apple product being called pico unless it was small in nature, like a PDA or something.

Interesting trivia: pico stands for pine composer

9. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

emacs is bloated crap, vi is cryptic, pico is my textbased editor of choice. flame away.

10. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Well I guess "bloated" is in the eye of the beholder. Yes, emacs does more than one program should, but the fact that it is a command line program doesn't make it a likely candidate for being bloated in my book. I don't know if it's crap, because I didn't want to spend a long time reading a large book on how to use it. It's probably smaller than some of the most simple GUI apps.

Yes, vi is cryptic, but so is Unix. The Unix philosiphy is that you have a bunch of small tools, that when combined can do anything that you want (that's why hackers like it so much).

Pico is the text-editor of many people's choice, but that's for the fact that it's easy. For the casual Unix text editing pico is fine, but for programmers (main Unix users), we need something more powerful.

I like vi because there are two modes: command mode and editor mode. It's wrapped up elegantly with ex so that you can do powerful commands fast. An example to copy the line your currently on in vi, just type .co. into the command mode. Simple. Might have a big learning curve that's cryptic, but that's just anything Unix for ya'.

I'm not going to flame you. Those are valid opinions, just hope that you see the value in cryptic programs.

Cryptic=powerful
    Pico=weak

11. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Flame, flame, flame...

flame, flame, flame, fla-ame, fleee-ame!!!

Emacs is crap!?!?!?!?! Have you ever *tried* emacs?? It supports just about any language out there, is easy to use, has been extended to have very nice windowed interfaces, and is available on most platforms. Bloated? Maybe. Crap? Hardly.

Cntrol-K, Control-U to move lines?? Control-V and Y the only way to page quickly. *Very* basic search features. No syntax parsing or language knowledge. And, as far as I am aware, no window capable interface or mouse capabilities. What am I describing?? None other than the glorious pile of crap that is pico.

Where emacs may be bloatware, pico is most certainly under-featured. It is suitable for quick editing jobs and an editor for command-line e-mail programs. IMO, beyond that its useless and crap. A load of crap. Lots of crap.

Crap.

Taft

12. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Re: Flame, flame, flame...

Thanks Taft, I didn't feel in the flaming mood today. Most people have no hope of switching from pico...but alas.

13. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

hehe actually, maybe if i can find a port of joe....:)

14. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I guess the Mac IIvim never saw the light of day?

And what will hapen after going through all the UNIXy editors? I hope we don't see iWord, iBBEdit, iSimpleText, iTextEdit etc... :)

15. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

new computers
    How about the iWantaG5
    thats sound like an awesome computer:D